Best midbass speaker

Humm, I've heard of people using 2 sets of tweets to bring their stage up but i have not yet to run across a need to do that. Never thought that another set of tweeter could add depth to a sound stage. I might have to give that a try at some point.

" 5 frequency ranges ( subwoofer, midbass, low midrange, high midrange, and high frequency )"

My front stage is going to consist of a 3-way component system with an extra set of tweeters. I'm thinking about getting some Hertz Mille 1600's to use as my front door mids, but they will likely be high passed at around 150-200 Hz @ 18/db octave."

Just thinking of how you would cross these is kind of puzzling. Id really like to no how this turns out.

The 1600 Mille's are suppose to be great down low mid bass so running them above 150hz almost seems like a waste. If your want a 6.5" to run 150hz up you might consider some AP Arians, 150hz to 4000 is where they really shine. Not sure how high you would want to go with your high midrange.

Humm, I've heard of people using 2 sets of tweets to bring their stage up but i have not yet to run across a need to do that. Never thought that another set of tweeter could add depth to a sound stage. I might have to give that a try at some point.
" 5 frequency ranges ( subwoofer, midbass, low midrange, high midrange, and high frequency )"

My front stage is going to consist of a 3-way component system with an extra set of tweeters. I'm thinking about getting some Hertz Mille 1600's to use as my front door mids, but they will likely be high passed at around 150-200 Hz @ 18/db octave."

Just thinking of how you would cross these is kind of puzzling. Id really like to no how this turns out.

The 1600 Mille's are suppose to be great down low mid bass so running them above 150hz almost seems like a waste. If your want a 6.5" to run 150hz up you might consider some AP Arians, 150hz to 4000 is where they really shine. Not sure how high you would want to go with your high midrange.

Roland,

Here is my current & the ideal setup that I am working toward ( assuming that I could get everything the way that I want it ):

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS ( I have this currently ) Running Active Crossovers

Front Stage:

Midbass - 6.5" midbass ( I currently have CDT ES-06 -- Currently crossed over at HP 100Hz @ 18db/octave /// 3.15 kHz 12db/octave )

I would like: Hertz Mille 1600 or other super high quality 6.5"-7.0" -- Crossed at HP 120HZ @ 18db/octave /// 1500 or 2000 Hz 12db / octave

Midrange -- 2'-3" midrange ( I do not have a dedicated mid yet )

I would like: I've looked at Hertz, CDT, and DLS. The best fit would probably be the DLS Ultimate, but I have never heard it and haven't read too many reviews on it. The midrange would be running through a passive crossover since my mid-range output from my headunit is dedicated to crossing over my mid-bass speakers. Since the midrange bandpassed frequencies will fall within those for the midbass, that should work just fine. Now, I would prefer to find an amp that I can use to bandpass cross the midranges, but I could also use the passive from a 3-way component set. Any recommendations on a good SQ amp putting out 100-150 watts per channel that has a bandpass crossover that I can use for a dedicated midrange?

Tweeters: As I said, I currently have a set of 1.5" Polk MOMO tweets and 1" CDT silk tweets. Crossed over at 4000Hz @ 12db/octave I like both of them, but also have a pair of German old school MB Quart titanium tweets and a pair of Infinity MMD tweets that I'm fond of, as well. If I get a 3-way component system, I will simply decide which two pairs sound best together and give me the sound that I want.

I would like: Hertz Mille tweets, and combine them with either the Polks, the CDT's, or the MB Quarts......probably one of the latter two. The Polks are amazing for vocals and very warm. The CDT's are extremely spacious and do the best job of adding depth and width to the soundstage, regardless of placement. The MB Quarts are very clean and do a great job without being harsh, so I always liked to add them along with the silk tweeters to add that bit of crispness and twinkle. In fact, I may have just convinced myself to remove the Polks from my vehicle today and go with the CDT's and the MB Quarts for the time being.

Rear Fill:

I currently have a pair of Infinity Kappa 6.5's in my rear doors. They are crossed over on the low end with my headunit at 100 Hz 18db/octave, but they are running through a separate amp than my front midbass. The amp is not only giving them a bit more power, but I've also got a low-pass crossover set at 350 Hz. So basically, I've got them bandpassed at 100-350 Hz. I like having the midbass boost coming from my rear doors. A lot of folks on here don't care for it, but I enjoy the extra fill. I don't like it getting too far into the vocal and instrumental range, as it can pull the sound too far back, but with it just producing 100Hz-350Hz, it works out just fine. I'm thinking about putting some 8" Hertz Hi-Energy or other dedicated midbass speakers in here and just leaving it as it is.

Subwoofer:

Currently, I do not have any subwoofers. I have amps to power them, just no sub yet. Over the years, I've gone through Kicker, Alpine, Polk, Memphis, Rockford Fosgate, Incriminator Audio, Elemental Designs, Infinity, Cerwin-Vega, Pioneer, Dayton, Adire Audio, and Ascendant Audio. With the exception of my Brahma, my Ascendant Audio subs have been my favorite. So, I'm currently looking for two Ascendant Audio Atlas, Avalanche, or Havoc 12's. I was considering Dayton or JL W6's or W7's and still may go in that direction. I've also considered Focal, Morel, and I've got a few folks trying to sell me on Fi and PSi, as well, but I still have something pulling me toward Ascendant.

Anyhow, that the gist of where things are and are going. I'm sure there are some guys on here who will completely disagree with how I am doing things, but that is ok. One of the biggest drawbacks of these forums is that instead of answering questions, a lot of times people ignore what is being asked and simply want to tell you their way of doing things and that you are wrong for trying to do something in a way that you prefer or that there is no way what you are doing could sound good. Well, I don't do competitions. I set my systems up for my own personal musical enjoyment when I am driving my car. I'm not opposed to trying new things, but I also know how to set up a system in this particular vehicle that sounds the way I want it to. Changing speaker brands and amps and such can make a difference, but I also am familiar with this particular vehicle and my particular preferences. I think that many car audio fanatics forget that there are thousands of different vehicles and they all sound different. Even the same vehicle with a different engine or different sound dampening can sound very different. Combined with the wide variety of people and their own preferences for the type of music they listen to, as well as their preferences for tonality, staging, etc, and its unlikely that what works for one person in one car will work for another person in a completely different vehicle.

Much thanks, though, to everyone who offered suggestions and is trying to help! Have a great weekend.

Para

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.