Best HU for 400-600$?

I've always been a fan of Pioneer. I won't say exactly what my thoughts are on what you SHOULD look at, but I can tell you what you might want to stay away from. I bought Pioneer's 8500BHS and have been pretty disappointed. I really like the double DIN, and the bluetooth is great. However (major however), the App Radio offering from Pioneer is absolutely terrible. This was the entire reason I purchased the HU. The apps are unbelievably JV-Varsity (would never have believed it had I not seen this for myself), and migrating around the apps still requires that I use my phone (iPhone, in my case).

From a sound perspective, I think the 8500 is OK. Lots of options to customize what I need. I paid $500 for it (lists at $650 I believe).

I would say, though, that if you are going to cut back on costs, the HU is NOT where the cutting back needs to happen. You can have an amazing quality system behind the HU, but if you don't start with quality, you won't end with it. If you must have a weak link in the chain, it shouldn't be the HU.

That's my two cents. Good luck on your search! I'd be interested in knowing which HU you decide on.

All of those companies have new head units for 2014 that have not yet shipped. The Pioneer NEX-4000 is at the upper end of your stated budget. I don't yet know the prices on the upcoming Clarion models, but look for NX404 and VX404. NX404 has navigation. I have not looked at Kenwood much to advise you of what to expect, but they also have good options.

If you don't care about built in Navigation.. the best bang for the buck around at this moment is the Kenwood DDX470 -- $309 :

Kenwood DDX470 6.1" LCD DVD/MP3/USB Car Receiver w/ Bluetooth

I just put one in my Car.. Nothing beats it for what you get for the money... has 3 sets of 4v pre-outs,.. built in bluetooth, DVD, CD, MP3, Ipod, Iphone.. etc..

Aside from navigation I think it's burning money to buy anything else, as they all do the same thing frankly. If you don't like the analog control which puts the screen at 6.1" instead of 7" for the units with no analog control to use without looking at unit.. then you can spend a little more for another unit.

I'm obviously biased, but I asked the same question with a similar budget in mind,.. got this answer.. Went and looked myself in person and ended up saving myself $200+.

I recently got the pioneer avh5500 and love it! Has better Android connectivity than most, and the ipod/phone (4th gen) has been perfect. It has the best UI ive used and was able to get it from crutchfield for $400 (included dash kit, antenna adaptor, factory wire harness plug) Ive used the app mode with my wifes Iphone and didn't have the same issues as mattymatt did with his 8500. I just really don't find a need for it. I just hooked up the ipod in the glove box and get all my music and video from there, and occasionally stream Pandora from my S3 via Bluetooth. A warning though, If you do get a pioneer and have an android, do not plan on using the pioneer connect app, it absolutely blows... not worth the time to download it, just use a usb stick or ipod

Yah i think im looking at the 2014 model of the 5500. Does pretty much everything i need.
save yourself the time and aggrevation and get yourself the double pulse parking brake bypass relay (amazon has it for around 15$) otherwise you will have to engage-disengage-engage your p.brake anytime you want to use any sort of video/dvd/app radio mode and takes half the time to install as opposed to using the actual parking brake wire

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.