Best guage wire to wire subs

sdimeconcept
10+ year member

East TN
Best wire to wire up my sub....

I've got a 300/2 Directed Amp and a 10" Type R. I've got about 15ft of 4 guage and a pack of 10ft 13 guage Rockford Wire. The Rockford Wire comes in 3 different wires, each 10 feet long, I believe.

From the battery to the amp, I know I should run the 4 guage, but what about the amp to the sub? Should I keep running 4 guage or will the 13 guage speaker wire work?

Thanks.

13 would be more than adequate. I am running 12 ga. to my L7s. I think it goes 16 ga. for low wattage, 12 ga for medium wattage, and 10 or 8 for HIGH wattage

Thanks a bunch for the help. Just one more question and I think I'll be good to go.

I've got a terminal cup with the plugs that allow you to use the banana plugs? I'm probably speaking nonsense. Anyway, would it be better to use those? or just drill a hole and run the wires through and silicone it up?

That would be up to you. I would say it depends on your install. With the banana Plugs you can detach the wires and remove the sub box without having to mess with the wires from the Amp. If they are one piece you will have to remove the wire at the amp and pull the box and wire out all at once. I am using Banana plugs in mine since the wire route from me Amps to me sub will not be easy to remove.

Does seem to make the install more 'modular'. I was afraid it might limit the power going to the sub, or that it might have a tendency to fail. Thanks for the help!

Oak244 - That's a nice set of cables. Looks very convenient with both the power and the ground encased together.

Heyman421 - Does make sense now that I think about it. I'd say you probably wouldn't need such a low guaged wire if the amp we're really close to the battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.