Best ground for batterys?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MmatsDude
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
How to best ground your batteries?

Ground both trunk and under the hood batteries together. Run ground wire from hood to trunk to ground both together and also ground them to chassis. Or just ground both separately to chassis?

And not spend the extra cash on ground wire.

How to best ground your batteries?
Ground both trunk and under the hood batteries together. Run ground wire from hood to trunk to ground both together and also ground them to chassis. Or just ground both separately to chassis?

And not spend the extra cash on ground wire.
It depends on the chassis. My truck has a solid full length frame so grounding to it in the rear and under the hood is no big deal.

My car on the underhand is a unibody design in which the frame is the body itself. There are lots of welds adhesives painted surfaces that could cause for a bad ground location in which a dedicated ground run may be better.

Ideally you want the least resistance in between your grounding location and front battery negative as possible.

It depends on the chassis. My truck has a solid full length frame so grounding to it in the rear and under the hood is no big deal.
My car on the underhand is a unibody design in which the frame is the body itself. There are lots of welds adhesives painted surfaces that could cause for a bad ground location in which a dedicated ground run may be better.

Ideally you want the least resistance in between your grounding location and front battery negative as possible.

I have a 2003 Lincoln town car I believe it’s a full body frame. I am not sure ?

I think I am going to run a full ground run from front to back just to be safe

But is it really worth it spending the extra cash on ground wire ? Etc

I have a 2003 Lincoln town car I believe it’s a full body frame. I am not sure ?
I think I am going to run a full ground run from front to back just to be safe

But is it really worth it spending the extra cash on ground wire ? Etc
Is it worth it? Well that's hard to answer. Is it worth the piece of mind to know that you have the best ground possible? Depending on the vehicle it may solve many voltage issues due to bad grounding.

Is it required? No not by any means, the frame of a vehicle can often flow much greater amounts of current than a 1/0 wire.

The trouble comes from body isolation mounts, painted surfaces, small contact points on factory ground straps and so on.

Like I said earlier it depends on the vehicle. You may try grounding to the frame and it work wonderful. It might not. Too many variables to say for sure

Is it worth it? Well that's hard to answer. Is it worth the piece of mind to know that you have the best ground possible? Depending on the vehicle it may solve many voltage issues due to bad grounding.
Is it required? No not by any means, the frame of a vehicle can often flow much greater amounts of current than a 1/0 wire.

The trouble comes from body isolation mounts, painted surfaces, small contact points on factory ground straps and so on.

Like I said earlier it depends on the vehicle. You may try grounding to the frame and it work wonderful. It might not. Too many variables to say for sure
I am just going to do both

2 runs of 2/0 flexaprene welding wire for power and 1 run of 2/0 flexaprene for ground

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.