best enclosure Port/Sub placement for maximum pressure(trunk)

Participant count
  • Participant list

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
sub:Orion HCCA 15.4

Power:1700rms until 2ohm recone then 2400rms

Ok, so I have decided to go with an 8 inch Aero on my box project, the current plan is to make the box out of 3/4 mdf by the following dimensions

Top fire config

Width: 34" Height: 14.75" (.75 for double baffle) Depth: 27" Thickness: 0.75

Interior Volume:5.9 cf (5.6 after displacement) the port tuning should be 30hz at 5.6 cf

Front/back fire

Width: 31" Height: 16.5" Depth: 25.75"(.75 for double baffle) Thickness: 0.75 *

Interior Volume:6.0 cf (5.7 after displacement) the port tuning should be 30hz at 5.7 cf

I am putting this box in a trunk, and the car has fold down seats. So what is the best woofer/port configuration for a trunk, I want to flex the crap out of my car, hit deep lows, and build as much cabin pressure as possible. Does anyone have any criticism or suggestions on this box plan, or does anyone know a good configuration.

Notes...

*My port is 20.75 inches Long, it consist of 2 8inch flares and a length of 8 inch pvc, I could make it longer with sonotube, but would prefer keeping the pvc

* sub has about 4-5 inch of head room if top fired

*should I add 1 or 2 inches to the depth so i can add up to .6 cubes of internal bracing

*my back windows don't roll down, only the fronts, but I Normally roll with the fronts down

*idk anything about box building //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif this is going to be a learning expereince

This is my VVX15 box in my trunk (little bigger than your plans) and it hits lows like a mofo and plays very well on mid-higher ranges too.

Ports firing into cabin with the subfiring upwards through the rear deck (took rear speakers out).

ScreenShot2012-03-01at70915AM.png

Currently did a 135.5 @35hz (but something was messed up, I'm sure it could have been closer to 40's)

This is my VVX15 box in my trunk (little bigger than your plans) and it hits lows like a mofo and plays very well on mid-higher ranges too.Ports firing into cabin with the subfiring upwards through the rear deck (took rear speakers out).

ScreenShot2012-03-01at70915AM.png

Currently did a 135.5 @35hz (but something was messed up, I'm sure it could have been closer to 40's)
this is pretty close to my last box lol, I've heard firing the driver towards the cabin increase's pressure though

It all depends on the design guys. If you have a design that does not allow for linear output at say 33Hz, then you have to rely solely on the cabin to gain that pressure back. So, if you have the sub and port on the same baffle, then yes, in that case a rear load on both is recommended. If you have a higher tuning, a rear or top load may be recommended, depending on the design and what it does at each frequency. So, there is no perfect placement that anyone can use if you are looking to get the most out of the setup. It is very dependent on the designs performance BEFORE the vehicle is even considered. Then the losses/gains that the vehicle have will include the response and what changes will occur from there.

A specific layout may be proven if a certain type of design is used all the time. So, if you keep the design simple in form, the effects of cabin placement will be similar for each design, which is why a common placement is always mentioned in questions like this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.