Best Comps to run off HU

Daher2323
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just got a 96 acura integra and apparently the alternator isn't too great or something because I get a good amount of dimming, even with a new battery and big 3 upgrade. I currently am running an eD nine.1 so thats a good amount of power running. this is the reason i wont be running an amp for these components. I would like 6.5" speakers and if possible 3/4" tweeters (1" is alright though, will just take some cutting). Let me know what you guys think would be best off hu power. thanks!

not recommended, HU only gives out about 14-17rms from the 8443. Just get an upgraded alty, because you won't be able to do anything really with the small alty you have. Isn't the Integra a 65amp alty? You need it upgraded for sure.

I would go ahead and get the comps that you like that way in the future if you do decide to get an amp you still have the speakers that you wanted all along. Honestly, I would go ahead and get an amp that does around 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms. If you are already ******* your alts power then another 200 watts is not going to make that much more of a differnce. Plus you can turn down your gain on your Nine.1 amp and use the power you saved by doing that on your comps amp. Also if you are running a sealed sub then try and port it and you can really turn the amp down then since ported is much louder or you can get a more effecient sub as well.

lots of options

That might be a bit too much juice for the stock alternator. The Nine.1 is wired for 120 amps. Probably way too much for a stock alternator on most cars.

But if you're looking for something that'll run well without a lot of power (you could use a small amp, like a 50x2), pay attention to speaker efficiency. A speaker with high efficiency will make the most of low power; 90db and above is good.

I would just turn down the nine.1 to act like a 600 watt amp and then get some good comps and a good comp amp. Besides I'm sure your system right now has overwhelming bass and terrible mids and highs. A good front stage can make almost any sub setup sound good.

$300+ for a new alternator is out of the question for me....and id really like to use the nine.1 to its full potential, if not i may as well get a smaller amp with a lower power handling sub (which i might need to do). Does anyone have suggestions for comps that will sound fine off the headunit and if i plan on getting maybe a 50-75 watt amp in the future will be compliant? thanks guys

how about the infinity reference comps (92 db sensitivity) or even better infinity kappa (95 db sensitivity)? Would these probably be my best bet off headunit power?

how about the infinity reference comps (92 db sensitivity) or even better infinity kappa (95 db sensitivity)? Would these probably be my best bet off headunit power?
Be careful with the Kappa's...they're 2 Ohms. Most HU's don't like that.

The kappas are pretty power hungry TBH..

Was running them for rear fill. Tested them out to see how theyd perform, and I had to throw about 60 RMS @ 2 ohm to get them decently loud..

Honestly, dollar for dollar, you would get better sound with a carefully picked set of coaxes and a small amp than you would with comps and head unit power.

But if you are going to be pigheaded about it, Pioneer Rev components.

These:

yes, nothing

great answer there!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif , but there isn't anything that will sound good from the HU. You'll think that the coax's sound better off the HU than the components if you run them off the HU. To really get the components moving you need some power to them but if you try and crank it with the HU they'll distort like crazy. Don't bother buying them if you can't use them. Upgrade your alty first as this will allow for all other upgrades. Or add a 2nd battery but then you'll need to buy two batteries so they are consecutive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.