Best class D amp brands

It's pretty pathetic how some people in here, not only thrive on drama, but actually try to increase the amount of it. Why are you actually here? Aren't some of you supposedly old, and this is what you spend your energy on? There's a lot of kid **** going on in here.

Yet here you are keeping the drama going... I been here since like 2009 and you already have more posts than me in less than a year? I can see what you spend your energy on.

Don't be such a big baby.

You're topic for derailed. Someone wants to argue and is not understanding what was said. The point I was trying to make is sub companies rate the RMS of their subwoofers differently. Sundown is a brand that underrates their subwoofers. You can most definitely put 2000 watts on a U series subwoofer safely, and even more than that in short bursts.

If you're on a boat you're going to need that much power since you don't have the benefit of cabin gain like in a vehicle.
I'm absolutely confident that my Focal 33v2s (13" polyglass) subs are VERY underrated at 200 watts a coil (400 watts). Build quality is in true Focal tradition. As is the case in most quality products, better to underpromise and over deliver.

A boat is a different bag altogether. I would consider PA style woofers as you're never going to benefit from cabin gain and Pro-style woofers, in some instances will be twice as loud as comparably sized woofers.

1.9cu ft, ported, 99.2dB 2.83V/1m!
Power Handling (RMS)400 Watts

That's like 15db more efficient or about 2.5 tims louder than comparable woofers given the same wattage. it will do with 400 watts what another sub will need 1200+ to do.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely confident that my Focal 33v2s (13" polyglass) subs are VERY underrated at 200 watts a coil (400 watts). Build quality is in true Focal tradition. As is the case in most quality products, better to underpromise and over deliver.

A boat is a different bag altogether. I would consider PA style woofers as you're never going to benefit from cabin gain and Pro-style woofers, in some instances will be twice as loud as comparably sized woofers.

That's like 15db more efficient or about 2.5 tims louder than comparable woofers given the same wattage. it will do with 400 watts what another sub will need 1200+ to do.

For a 2.5” coil on that sub, 400
Rms is a weee bit lower then usual. From the lower FS of the sub, the rating is probably more geared mechanically then thermally. The coil might be able to take double the power but it might smack the back plate causing mechanical damage.

The pro audio subs, that efficiency comes with a trade off. These style subs can do very well for all out spl setups when you are playing 50-75hz. Below that they are terrible 😅.

Yet here you are keeping the drama going... I been here since like 2009 and you already have more posts than me in less than a year? I can see what you spend your energy on.

Don't be such a big baby.
WTF are you talking about?? You're the one that keeps making nothing but petty comments.

Wtf does a post count have anything to do with anything?

You also couldn't even respond to what I said.

Big baby?? Yet you're the idiot that keeps making petty comments and says I'm keeping the drama going right?? Wow you're an idiot.

I’m running RDS class D amps. A 2k mono and a 6 channel class D. I’m liking the RDS class D amps. It takes alot of heavy beating on them to get them warm. I may be a little biased since RDS is local in my city, but the owner makes very nice equipment and is a genuinely nice person.
I have never heard of this company before. I looked them up out of curiosity and took a look at the different products. I always like discovering new brands/products.

The Focal looks like a nice sub. I haven't personally tried that model... How much power do you run to them? Sealed?

I have never heard of this company before. I looked them up out of curiosity and took a look at the different products. I always like discovering new brands/products.
The amps I have are prototypes. I’m also running RDS 6.5s and 3.5 inch neo In my 3 way front stage. He just hit 157 DB @ 35 HZ with his 16 8s setup at a recent comp.

The amps I have are prototypes. I’m also running RDS 6.5s and 3.5 inch neo In my 3 way front stage. He just hit 157 DB @ 35 HZ with his 16 8s setup at a recent comp.
Pretty loud for 8s!

I'm using the Recoil Audio RPM365 3-way set. They're very nice for the $160 I paid. It's a neo 3", 1" silk dome tweet.

Attachments

• 1000001054.jpg
    1000001054.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 10
WTF are you talking about?? You're the one that keeps making nothing but petty comments.

Wtf does a post count have anything to do with anything?

You also couldn't even respond to what I said.

Big baby?? Yet you're the idiot that keeps making petty comments and says I'm keeping the drama going right?? Wow you're an idiot.

Every time you open your mouth you prove my point, I can't help it your too stupid to understand that.
You too soft and get triggered too easy.

You can go ahead and get the last word in like you always need to do.. You're dismissed.. for now.

Every time you open your mouth you prove my point, I can't help it your too stupid to understand that.
You too soft and get triggered too easy.

You can go ahead and get the last word in like you always need to do.. You're dismissed.. for now.
You say nothing.

You've made zero attempt at actually having a conversation. You just write snarky ***** comments to make more drama.

Soft? About what? You're being a b***h.

Get the last word in, there you go, that's how you can try to b***h out of having a conversation.

You seriously are pathetic, a child, and I have no idea what your other issue is.

How about you grow a pair of balls, and trying having a conversation like an adult. What petty garbage are you stuck on? (Let's see if you can finally give a real answer, and respond directly. I bet not. You have done nothing but be a little drama queen, and I bet that keeps going).

The Focal looks like a nice sub. I haven't personally tried that model... How much power do you run to them? Sealed?
The build Q is outstanding. I've clamped the 2 of them at almost 700 for a minute, its scary (panel and glass rattling) loud, yet amazingling controlled. Usually, when one gets near the RMS level, you can kind of hear it in lesser subs, not these, out an abundance of caution and a deferment to the wallet in the right rear pocket, I am kind of afraid to push it further though, sound is really good. That Heart misses a beat deep, hair on the arms raised amazing sound even though one is listening to Sarah McLaughlin's "Building a Mystery". It's not that SPL blow your hair back (sell sort of the one time I pushed them for show) but that tight thump thump thump, fast accurate attack you expect from a smaller 8 or ten. I'm a fan. I run A DS18 Hooligan 3k at 4 ohms so 1000 watts possible, doesn't break a sweat and seems to love working with the Focal subs. Definitely more refined than rough, not what I would call a BASS head, ridiculous mega bounce it subs, definitely on the finess side. The one comment I get a lot is "wow, i can feel it in my chest and I know it is loud, but it doesn't seem like it is - as they are yelling to make the a point. My SPL days are behind me, but good SQ bass doesn't have to be quiet or exclusive, these do a real nice job. I might have to add an 8" version in front of the front seat looking back at the passenger, we'll see.

;)

Last edited:
The build Q is outstanding. I've clamped the 2 of them at almost 700 for a minute, its scary (panel and glass rattling) loud, yet amazingling controlled. Usually, when one gets near the RMS level, you can kind of hear it in lesser subs, not these, out an abundance of caution and a deferment to the wallet in the right rear pocket, I am kind of afraid to push it further though, sound is really good. That Heart misses a beat deep, hair on the arms raised amazing sound even though one is listening to Sarah McLaughlin's "Building a Mystery". It's not that SPL blow your hair back (sell sort of the one time I pushed them for show) but that tight thump thump thump, fast accurate attack you expect from a smaller 8 or ten. I'm a fan. I run A DS18 Hooligan 3k at 4 ohms so 1000 watts possible, doesn't break a sweat and seems to love working with the Focal subs. Defiantly more refined than rough, not what I would call a BASS head, ridiculous mega bounce it subs, definitely on the finess side. The one comment I get a lot is "wow, i can feel it in my chest and I know it is loud, but it doesn't seem like it is - as they are yelling to make the a point. My SPL days are behind me, but good SQ bass doesn't have to be quiet or exclusive, these do a real nice job. I might have to add an 8" version in front of the front seat looking back at the passenger, we'll see.

;)
That sounds cool.

I have my primary job, but my secondary with is in this industry. I definitely admire and have respect for high quality and/or expensive gear, but personally I like trying to find the best values. Some people hate on DS18, but I've never witnessed a bad product from them. I will admit I don't personally like the color red, so I don't enjoy the aesthetics of their lower amps and the phase plugs on their speakers, but that's just personal taste.

I am using the most hated brand right now for subs... Skar. 2 12" EVLs. They're much better than I expected, honestly. I like them better than the Kicker solo-baric I was using previously.

For really cheap subs, I like the Recoil PW12 - they're like $90 a piece, 700 RMS, dual 2 or 4 ohm. I think the full cover dust cap looks really cool, too. They're better than the Skar SDR and CT Tropo for less money. I then recommend people pair it with the Recoil RED1200.1 or the $78 Audiozerone ZE1000.1. I'm using one of these cheap amps right now bc I wanted to test it out myself to see if it holds up before I recommended it to anyone. Fused @ 105 amps and does rated power. It has worked well for me for 5 months so far. I've used it on 4 different sub setups at 4, 2, and 1 ohm loads. It does have a cheap looking bass knob, but it works all the same and I like that it has the telephone plug. I don't like the headphone style, particularly.

I'm thinking about possibly trying a stereo integrity ht18v3 out. I need to model it, but in a vehicle I think it would work in maybe 6 ft³ tuned to 26-28 Hz. I'm kinda getting tired of using subs that are currently popular and that other people use vs what I personally would like to use. Sometimes I just so happen to get a sub(s) and if I haven't tried it out before so I'll hook it up for a couple months just so I can have an honest opinion about it. Even more so if it is already in an enclosure. I've tried all kinds of subs, but I don't like using anything under a 12". With everything else being equal (it frequently isn't), a 12" sub will be able to play lower and with less distortion than it's 10" counterpart.

Focal and JL (and a few others) have a good product with these 13" subs. I've seen the marketing research from Recoil/Edge and this is exactly why they don't make a 15" sub. Statistically, most people just don't buy them, and the enclosures are too big for most people. That extra inch helps play lower, be more efficient, etc in a very reasonable enclosure.

The only thing I don't like about some of the Recoil amps is that the DI series use fork terminals. The RED series uses set screws, however. I asked the company why they did that and they basically said it's bc that's what they had available. They've got the best 5 channel value on the market, imo. Powerful, 1 ohm 5th channel. Plus the 2500.1 I can get for $175-180. You can't beat that for 2500 @ 1 ohm and it has a clip light and a nice bass knob.

One other thing, you're right about being able to hear it on cheaper subs when you reach RMS power. Most car subwoofers are not designed with low distortion particularly in mind. The cheapest low distortion subs would probably be the Dayton Audios. The Skars I'm using for right now sound surprisingly good as long as you don't run them at full power. I have also purposely hard-clipped about 1300 watts out of the Audiozerone for a couple days to see if the amp or Skars would blow. Neither did.

Most people don't understand that the RMS rating of a subwoofer, especially a cheaper one, frequently is at a fairly high level of distortion. Hardly any company releases distortion graphs of subwoofers. Some of these x-max figures are just absurd... especially if we're talking truly linear x-max, which is what really matters. This is part of why I said in that other thread that you don't have to fully power a subwoofer. Most of these lesser subs just plain sound better (and will last several years) if you power them with ~50-80% RMS power. I've rarely seen a subwoofer blow that is in this range of power, and I've dealt with a lot of subs over the years (I've personally used 4 different amps and 11 different subs in the past year alone just in my personal vehicle, and I've heard/set up/sold/traded/given away/etc more than i care to try and remember or list).

A lot of recommendations here seem to be for pretty affordable amps. With the exception of MMATS. Which makes me question, are they the top quality amps? I wouldn’t even have to wait for any deals to buy these. Are these in the same class as JL audio and MMATS? I saw some cheap DS18 amps but when I started doing some research I saw a people write that they aren’t that great. I know that price is not always indicative of quality. Is this the case in this situation? If not, then what are the top high quality amps?
What is "quality"? There are a few different common standards for amp dyno tests. One is the amount of power made up to 1% THD. For sub frequencies, it's unlikely (if not impossible) that you'd ever hear a difference between 0.05% THD and 1% THD. For a given power level, you can find amps in probably a 10x price range that all make the same target power at 1% THD. In other words, there is no sense in which a cheaper amp necessarily sounds worse, as long as it passes the test. So the question comes down to what other features you need and what kind of warranty coverage there is. For example, some amps tolerate different input voltage ranges, have more / better crossover settings, or can produce over rated power (but if you need that, just search for that power level to begin with).

Point is that cheaper doesn't necessarily mean worse.

Point is that cheaper doesn't necessarily mean worse
Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean bad...plenty of quality budget amps out there...

Typically a higher price tag includes better components, warranty, and customer service...at least from reputable brands

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...