Best Budget BT Head Unit

Courage

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, looking for recommendations for a good Bluetooth head unit in the sub $150 range. I have a Pioneer MVH S21BT in my F250 and am happy with it, but it can't change display colors. My Ford has a red interior theme, so that's just fine. I'm looking to switch to something with Bluetooth capabilities in my 94 Ram 2500. It currently has a cd only Pioneer head unit and Kewood speakers in it. I like how it sounds, but it's a little on the quiet side if I have the windows rolled down. It has a blue and green theme aside from the radio (red) so I'm hoping to be able to match.
Looking forward to hearing from y'all!
Thanks in advance!
Courage

I’d suggest looking at current Sony models during your searching.

People tend to skip Sony, but my 12 year old Sony has any color I want (can adjust RGB colors individually to blend to anything nearly), USB still connects to my phone fine (not a Bluetooth model), and otherwise works great. Also has 7 band EQ, selectable high pass filter for the front / rear RCA preouts, subwoofer preout / x over, sub level adjustment which can shut the sub off as well, and AUX in for the rare occasion I want to use that. It’s a bit older, but it has been a very solid head unit and my favorite for a cheaper unit. Some of these features will be usless to some people, but the crossovers are very handy when I run older amplifiers on occasion. The Sony has been nicer than any Pioneer's I had prior, and even a slightly newer Pioneer touch screen I put in my truck.

I don’t think any decent head unit brand will be louder than one another as far as built in power, you’d need an amplifier to get a little more volume with the windows down, and of course speakers to handle it if the current Kenwood can’t.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, hope whatever you get works well for you, a lot of options to pick from.

bluetooth and color changing display, are pretty standard. $150 is more than enough to find one. I like Kenwood Excelon head units. They have bluetooth with color changing display, and 3preouts at 5v each. You can get with cd player, or save $20 and get a digital media one. You can choose to have a full screen that looks cool, or buttons that are functionally easier to navigate with a front facing USB, (both will also have rear USB.

This is something you can figure out for yourself if you just put in a little time and search.

Thanks guys! I was actually looking at a couple Sony units. I like the modern yet simplistic look.
Anyone know the difference between these 3? I've looked, but can't figure it out.
Sony MEX-N4300BT
Sony MEX-N5300BT
Sony MEX-N4380BT
At some point I might add an amp, so I want to keep that in mind.
Thanks!
Courage

They're all pretty similar imo...but they're all 2v preouts from what I can find...if you're adding amps later something with a 4v or better rca preout would be a bit better

Also wanted to add, I much prefer a "volume knob" over the push button type, so another feature to keep in mind while browsing, and I also still like to play CD's at times, some modern head units don't have a CD player, which is all personal preference / what you need from it. So you really need to go through the list of features.

I don't want to recommend any specific models as I have zero experience with them. Just go through the list of features and see what will work for your requirements.

I agree the higher preamp voltage is good. That said, the 2v mine puts out hasn’t been an issue for me and has driven my amps with no problems. I still have an old Audiocontrol Overdrive line driver from the 90’s and have found no need to use it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...