Best 8"

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
I wanna run two 8" subwoofers and have narrowed it down to four of them. I have 1200rms to play with. Which of these would be the loudest and sound very good at the same time while hitting lows? its going in a 2012 Corvette Z06

Sundown SA8
SSA F8L
B2 Audio Rage v2
JL W7

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
If it was me I would go with the SSA if I had to choose from the list
But in all honesty I would go with the Digital Design 2508

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
From the list I’d go SSA for the price to performance factor. I think the SA would be my second choice. I’d stay away from JL strictly because of price.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
F8l

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From the list I’d go SSA for the price to performance factor. I think the SA would be my second choice. I’d stay away from JL strictly because of price.
If price wasn't a issue with any subwoofer including the w7. Would you still pick the F8L and SA8 over the W7?

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
SSA F8L.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Yes. SSA for sure

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
Not too much reviews that I could find as well as YouTube videos. Had anyone on here used them?

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I wanna run two 8" subwoofers and have narrowed it down to four of them. I have 1200rms to play with. Which of these would be the loudest and sound very good at the same time while hitting lows? its going in a 2012 Corvette Z06

Sundown SA8
SSA F8L
B2 Audio Rage v2
JL W7
Check these out as well!

Screenshot_20210617-224147_Chrome.jpg

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
Some of this depends on the enclosure. The JL 8w7 is better suited for sealed enclosures, IMO. It will sound really good in a ported enclosure, but the sa8 would be better in a ported box than the JL. The JL is what I would choose for a sealed box. It will likely outperform the sa8 sealed, bot not ported. My personal favorite sub for sealed applications is the Dayton ultimax. It doesn’t do super well ported, but it really shines over other sealed subs I’ve heard. It’s only 300 watts, but it works really well in small sealed boxes and has a ton of xmax. It would be expensive, but 4 Dayton ultimax 8s in a sealed enclosure on 1200 watts would be a very nice sounding system.

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
Some of this depends on the enclosure. The JL 8w7 is better suited for sealed enclosures, IMO. It will sound really good in a ported enclosure, but the sa8 would be better in a ported box than the JL. The JL is what I would choose for a sealed box. It will likely outperform the sa8 sealed, bot not ported. My personal favorite sub for sealed applications is the Dayton ultimax. It doesn’t do super well ported, but it really shines over other sealed subs I’ve heard. It’s only 300 watts, but it works really well in small sealed boxes and has a ton of xmax. It would be expensive, but 4 Dayton ultimax 8s in a sealed enclosure on 1200 watts would be a very nice sounding system.
Yes I'm going to go ported. So the SA8 will be louder than the w7 and F8L? Also if I still run 1200rms and keep my power the same and go two sundown X8 would it be louder than the SA8 or stay the same

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
Most of the higher end subs are a little conservative with the RMS numbers
The X8 says 800 watts but you can run 1000 into it.
So putting 1200 into 2 of them is probably not going to sound like you want it too
You should run at least RMS into to whatever you purchase

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
On that power I would not do the X’s as you won’t be able to push them where they need to be. I would still choose the F8L over the SA. I think the F8L will be able to dig a little deeper and it will likely have better sound quality.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
I’m surprised bobbytwonames didn’t mention American bass, so I guess I have to……..they make a decent 8 that gets loud ported also. For a ported box, if I had to choose between these, I go F8L. If I wanted to go sealed, I would do the JL 8w7.

Reactions: metalheadjoe

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
2 JL 8w7 in a sealed box would be a similar sized box as an f8l ported, so if I had unlimited funds and cared nothing for efficiency, I’d do 2 or 3 JL 8W7s sealed and a bigger amp. Now you’re into $$$$$

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Sundown SA or SSA F8L.

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 10, 2020
Dallas Texas
So let me get this right. The SA8 will be louder than the F8L but the F8L will play a little deeper? Like around what hertz will I notice it?

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Your first post said you want it to sound very good and hit the lows. The F8L fits the bill the best IMO. SSA subs tend to be more musical than Sundowns in my experiences.

Reactions: Kickstand

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
So let me get this right. The SA8 will be louder than the F8L but the F8L will play a little deeper? Like around what hertz will I notice it?
A lot of that depends on the box you have made
The Sundowns and the SSA's are very similar and to somebody who was not into car audio would probably sound the same
The difference between the 2 of them is a matter of having a trained ear.
Like I said box is everything here
Slugbutter has it right, if your not going ported then the JL's are your best bet
I'm trying to remember but I'm pretty sure he is the other guy on here who are big into box designing so I'm sure he is talking into account your lack of space which maybe the rest of us are not
Ported IMO the SSA are a better choice
That being said your putting them in a Corvette which lacks space so if you can pull off ported then SSA but if you can't the JL is only way to go
Sorry I can't see anywhere if you listed what amp you are going to use to run them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds