Best 5.25 for midbass

RI-Matt
10+ year member

I'm looking for opinions on the best 5.25 components for midbass. I've looked at a couple of the high end stuff but my limitation may be depth. I don't want to modify the interior so the speaker depth can't be more than 2.25. So far my top pick is Diamond Audio Hex.

What do you guys think?

Matt

For the GN? I just sold my T and parts about a month ago. The 5.25's listed in my sig were bought for that car. I had CSII pods in my car to allow them. Do you have that in yours? Would you be up for a set of custom pods? Audiowizard makes some nice ones that you can go three-way with. If at all possible I would go with a 6.5". These CDT 5.25's are pretty good with some power. I heard the Hex's are a little harsh compared to these. One thing is for sure though and the CDT tweeter is hard to top!

If forgot to ask how much you are looking to spend?

I personally have also listened to the higher end JL's and the Boston Z-6's and they had good mid-bass although I don't know if they come in 5.25's and they are expensive.

Intercooler, thanks for the reply.

Yep, this is for the GN. I do have the CSII pods in the doors. I have seen Audiowizards stuff and it's nice but I was really trying to keep from having to cut the lower door panels. As for the kick pods, they kinda look like an after thought and restrict leg room, plus I change my chips to much to make it practical. As for budget I would have to say under $400 would be nice but if ones that sound really nice I could cough up more.

The Hex speakers you heard were they metal tweeters or silk?

By the way did you use the same screen name on the Buick boards?

Matt

I didn't personally hear the Hex's. Just the reports I got on them. The CDT stuff is in your range and hard to beat. Give the 5.25's all the power they need and I think you will be happy. I am now! I had mine set up with only 100 watts then upped the amp to 140 watts and they are ALIVE! Shoot for 150 watts per if you go that route.

Saw the Hex's on E-Bay for $270. The CDT's will run close to the $400. The Hex's are 1 5/8" depth where the CDT's are 2.75". I am Intercooler on all the boards //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif Other option is to have Audiowizard build a set onto another set of lower panels. That is what he prefers anyways and you can keep your perfect originals. That is what I was going to do! The larger sizes will play better.

Anyone else have something to add on the 5.25's?

Another option for you! I went into Tweeter and listened to the Z-6's which are 6.5" and they were the best I ever heard so far but $1,000 a set. They make them in 5.25's too and I found them for $599 on-line where most stores charge $999 for them. The Boston Z series are awesome!

http://shopper-zdnet.com.com/Boston_Acoustics_Z_5___car_speaker/4014-6725_15-31097037.html

If I had to do it over again or do another vehicle I think this is what it would have! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

I know this is an old post but I am still looking for opinions

Best midbass component set.

They have to be 5.25

Can't be deeper than 2.25

Budget is $400 or less

Thanks,

Matt

No one has mentioned Morel yet. Their 5.25" is shallow and sports a tremendous 2.5-3" hexatech voice coil and is capable of high power handling and solid tight bass. You can buy them as a set or piece them together with Morel tweeters and customized crossover networks from Madisound.

Hex's big downfall is their lack of midbass.... I would definatly go with some Z6's or even Boston Pro 6's. I have heard both and they have very good midbass output and sound clean. definatly the set I am considering.

i have a set of the boston z6s and the z5s, the z5s are the 5 1/4 version i busted out the 'DTM' and measured them out to be about 2.3" mounting depth... tis is about your limit, but with an mdf ring you'll be clear... i highly recommend them, SQ is pretty clean, i've been sending about 250 to them and they can still take more, the low end extension is pretty bad ass too... if you have the power and the funds go for it you won't be dissapointed

Thanks for the replies guys.

frzninvt, where would I find the Morels?

cjj2d, when you say the Hex are lacking midbass, would they be more or less midbass than say Infinity Kappa's ??? That's what's in there now and so that's my comparison.

Decipha, the 2.25 is with the factory mounting spacer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Matt

The installation is going to be just as, if not more, important than just the drivers themselves. You MUST deaden the doors. You MUST ensure that the speaker is sealed off. You MUST ensure that the speaker is solidly mounted. I would strongly suggest some type of time alignment processing to minimize cancellation. It's hard enough to get good midbass with a 6.5" driver and is much harder with 5.25". The install is going to be vital.

HEX's have no mid bass,

IMO HEX's are great for jazz,soft rock,classical music where mid bass

is not a huge concern - Hex's used to be great speakers when they were made in europe but now they are made in china and lost they excellence they once had a few years ago....sorry to say I hated mine

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.