BEST 18 INCH SUBWOOFER for MY setup!!!! help out guys thanks :)

I have the hdc3 18 and it exceeded my expectations i actually have two waiting on funds for materials on second box great woofers though my vote is obviously a pair of hdc3 18's should run around 620 new im guessing lol any of them are a good choice in my opinion.

\

Got those figures from one of the guys who did extensive testing in the early prototype days of the TRF and have been verified in a laboratory by the largest speaker buildhouse in North America. I didn't just pull that out of my arse.
I've built 4 boxes and 8 subs already this year, so I'd say I spend plenty of time working on things and testing. I've broken dozens of subs over the years so I feel I have a fair bit of hands on testing with breaking woofers.

Out of curiosity what would I need to do to be worthy of credibility?

I'm quite confident you know what you're doing enough to run those power levels to woofers, my entire point is to not lead people to believe that their stuff will be indestructible at 3KW. I would say if you spent more time on here reading posts of people blowing up subs not understanding why you would see why I use the extreme definition of power handling.
I've owned Trfs and they handled the same power. The early prototype coils handled much less power then the modern day 3" 8 layer coils, I have tested them. I have NEVER lost a coil due to thermal failure, and I put a lot of power to my subs, my trfs saw over 3000wrms each and my xxx close to 5k, all clamped. No music plays consistent like a test tone for that long, nor is it recorded at the same level as a test tone, then when you factor in impedance rises and how they change at varying frequencies it is absolutely stupid to use the example you did.

\
No music plays consistent like a test tone for that long, nor is it recorded at the same level as a test tone...

Clearly you haven't noticed what passes for "music" these days. Much of it is indeed a sine wave at 0db (often clipped in the recoring).... the "artist" generally has a room temperature IQ a vocabularly of slightly over 200 words and from what I can decipher are either discussing their genitalia and ****** conquests, or how impoverished and crime ridden they have helped make their neighborhood or city through their criminal activities.

The issue of impedence curve isn't at peak where the amp is probably seeing 20 ohms, it's 15 or 20 cycles above peak where it doesn't sound that loud, is much closer to nominal impedence, and the user is trying to make that note sound as loud as their peak.

The thread "I blew up my sub and it wasn't even up that loud and my gain was only at half way" comes up very often around here. IMO to not use the absolute worst case scenario gives your average "which sub is going to womp and knock hardest?" type way too much credit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.