BEST 18 INCH SUBWOOFER for MY setup!!!! help out guys thanks :)

Joe562MMA
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
for my setup i have a astro van so space for the box is NOT an issue..

*my electrical is moderate - i have one yellow top batterie with an upgraded alternator 200+ amps the big three upgrade an 4 gauge wiring,

*Powering the one SUB WOOFER would be my SUNDOWN SAZ 2500D.

*as far as box i will be getting a custom built huge cubic feet ported box

& this is the list Ive composed so far of the best 18 inch sub woofers anyone have suggestions or preferences as fare as price everyday use an HIGH spl an ok SQ

this is not in a specific order but yea..

1)FI SP4 18 -

2)SSA ZCON - 510.10 shipped

4)PSI Platform $526.18 shipped

5)NITESHADE $574.99 shipped

6)sundown Z3 499.99 without shipping

7)AUDIO QUE HDC4 $589 shipped

all ur hellp would be appreciated thanks alot!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
i posted something similar yes but i did some research on speakers that's why i posted this one with the options ..

and actually i looked at that 21..lol hows the build quality on it looks a lil iffy?

And since you have lots of room and 2500 watts on tap I say 21" Warden
I like this, but he'd be better off with a DP and that power.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

i posted something similar yes but i did some research on speakers that's why i posted this one with the options ..and actually i looked at that 21..lol hows the build quality on it looks a lil iffy?
Very good build quality.

I can do Shocker Sig 18" dual 1.4 ohm copper coil with:

Rockford HX2 basket and 8" spiders for 510 shipped

or with 6 spoke basket and 9.25" spider pack for 530

I would use 18" Hawley cone (same as OEM TRF)

prices are fedex ground for 130 pounds boxed up.

Also no single woofer will really handle 2500W continuous power. They can be made to handle much more mechanically, but thermal limit on a 3" coil is 1200W and 1600W on 4" coil with possibly a 10% variance depending on "cooling" options, number of layers, etc.... OF course coils made with inferior materials will fail sooner, this is assuming Precision Econowind coils.

Before someone claims whatever sub they have a stiffy for will hold double that. I challange you to take any woofer you like, and run a true 2500W (clamped power, not just a 2500w amp) to it at 60hz for 8 hours and let me know how well your woofer took whatever preposterous power level you think it'll handle.

These thermal ratings have been proven in laboratory settings and it has been observed that at power levels even slightly above this they begin generating excess heat very quickly.

Long story short, depending on your listening habits you may be better served with a pair of 15's. That or learn to use your volume knob appropriately and/or learn to do your own recones and buy something for which you can get reasonably priced softparts.

Also no single woofer will really handle 2500W continuous power. They can be made to handle much more mechanically, but thermal limit on a 3" coil is 1200W and 1600W on 4" coil with possibly a 10% variance depending on "cooling" options, number of layers, etc.... OF course coils made with inferior materials will fail sooner, this is assuming Precision Econowind coils.
Before someone claims whatever sub they have a stiffy for will hold double that. I challange you to take any woofer you like, and run a true 2500W (clamped power, not just a 2500w amp) to it at 60hz for 8 hours and let me know how well your woofer took whatever preposterous power level you think it'll handle.

These thermal ratings have been proven in laboratory settings and it has been observed that at power levels even slightly above this they begin generating excess heat very quickly.

Long story short, depending on your listening habits you may be better served with a pair of 15's. That or learn to use your volume knob appropriately and/or learn to do your own recones and buy something for which you can get reasonably priced softparts.
Who said he was going to be playing a 60 hz sine wave for 8 hours straight? You can overpower subs, even on music. I see what you are saying but he's not going to have 2500w clamped. So.....he can do a single woofer on 2500w in my opinion.

OP if you have 2500 watts and you want to get as loud as you can do 2 18's like I did. It works very nice.

How is that even relevant? Who plays test tones for 8 hours straight? Who even plays music for 8 hours straight? Im sure there are plenty of people who put a TRUE 2500 watts on a 3" coil. (ie the people that have 4k+ amps on single subs ect) But those people know what their subs can handle, and know how long/loud they can play. And Im sure none of those people would tell you they play test tones for 8 hours straight. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Who said he was going to be playing a 60 hz sine wave for 8 hours straight? You can overpower subs, even on music. I see what you are saying but he's not going to have 2500w clamped. So.....he can do a single woofer on 2500w in my opinion.
OP if you have 2500 watts and you want to get as loud as you can do 2 18's like I did. It works very nice.
How is that even relevant? Who plays test tones for 8 hours straight? Who even plays music for 8 hours straight? Im sure there are plenty of people who put a TRUE 2500 watts on a 3" coil. (ie the people that have 4k+ amps on single subs ect) But those people know what their subs can handle, and know how long/loud they can play. And Im sure none of those people would tell you they play test tones for 8 hours straight. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
IMO continuous power handling means just that CONTINUOUS. I have run single subs on 3K, 4K, and 6KW. My point is it is misleading to say "XYZ-****** brand sub can take 2500W no problem" when you don't know how it is going to be used. Not knowing what his impedence curve is or what his definition of a "song" is, it's irrisponsible to say that he won't have any problem with a single sub on that amp.

The 1200W test tone for 8 hours is extreme, but I'll wager most subs will fail in under 20 minutes at 2000W with test tones (that's basically half a Young Jeezy cd depending on impedence curve of the sub).

The point is if you use a pair of subs you'd have to really really try to hurt them with that amp (assuming they're good quality 3" coil), with a single sub you'll need to use your head or you'll be on here asking why your 3000W rated sub blew up.

If no one clipped their amp reckoned would be scare..

In most fields continuous is considered over 30 seconds, it depends on what standard you use..

But your correct, the original standard put in place was white noise for 8 hours..

I believe that's inaccurate when rating a speaker though..

I'd use pure test tones for 10 minutes unclipped and rate it at that..

We all know music is dynamic but like you said they have boosted tracks and it can be harmful if your not careful..

All in all the highend woofers can take 2500 if you not clipping the **** out um..

Back in the old dd9500d days I put 3200 to a single woofer with no problem..

The new ones take 4kw if your mindful.

Any of the woofers will do fine..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.