Best 12" subwoofer possible?

The size of the ripple generated by a 12 inch radius cone pushes through the predestined particles that have been split in the cabin thus making cleaner sound in smaller waves to travel directly to the ear drum
^ wow.

im ready to get flamed but im going to add my peice. smaller subs(aka 8" 10") are ALWAYS more punchy. and by punchy i mean throw on "two Weeks" by all that remains and listen to the **** near constant bass drum(about 6 hits a second). a smaller sub will produce more precise bass hits. a larger sub(aka 15" 18") are better at playing lower frequencies. now, im not saying that a larger sub cannot be punchy, or that a smaller sub cant play low. a high quality driver can do it all.

and cone area directly affects SPL, the larger the cone the louder the sound will be given a certain excursion(or power). take a 10" sub and a 12" sub. same model sub, same amp, perfect enclosure for each, etc and for any given power the 12" will be louder. its simple math(which i dont happen to feel like putting in this thread seeing as mr Kyle did a much better job than i feel like doing.). now, for example, if you take a 10" sub with double the max excursion as the 12" sub the 10 will be louder, if(and only if) every other aspect of the subs are the same.

excursion is a very important factor in reproducing sound. the more excursion the less the sub has to work to produce low tones.(and im not explaining why. google it, do some research for once) and at the same time more excursion means harder hits and cleaner sound. sound is all about moving air. the more air you can move, the better off you are.

*zips up fire retardant suit* that is all

Matt

SQ competitions are a poor way of comparing the capabilities of speakers.
Agreed, only reason I mentioned that was his remark about winning them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

tc sounds is not high quality lmfao, one of the best subs you can buy. Audiopulse

put 5000 watts 2 this baby and it will **** on your xxx, secondly subs dont sound any different from another, its all in the application and enclosure.
haha the TC sounds is a good sub no doubt but it doesn't **** on a xxx by any means. lmao. Plus I am sure he was referring to the new line of TCsounds not the good old stuff before they went bankrupt.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have some expirience that I want to share....

Each sub will add around 6 db SPL. All things equal, which is rarely the case (same excursion, box size, placement, amp power etc).

A 12" sub is around 40% more surface area than a 10" and a 15" is just over 100% more or double. So more or less two 10's is sort of like one 15. Four 8" is like one 15". Six 6 inch woofers is like one 15".

Box volume is a big factor too so a box which is half the size of another with the same size woofer will have 3 db less SPL for the same bandwidth (bear in mind, a bigger box will of course use a more efficient driver!). 

Ports are also a factor - a port can add 3 dB SPL but at the expense of making the subwoofer have a high group delay and poor transient response.

Amplifier and all these types of subs https://soundrating.com/best-12-inch-subwoofer/ -  is also a factor - doubling the power can add 3 db SPL (provided the driver can take that power - very long throw!!). So a 200 watt sub with 15" woofer is kind of like an 800 watt sub with a 10" woofer or a 3200 watt sub with an 8" woofer. 

The worst part about all this is that for each octave you go lower in frequency you need EIGHT times the efficiency to maintain the same SPL output - so you are on the right track - ignore those 1 foot cube aesthetic looking subs as a foot rest is really all they are actually good for!

So you can see that SPL does not come easy...in some cases big really is better!

The only trick you have is that corner placement will give you an extra 6 db compared to wall placement...often this is at the expense of problematic modal problems.

Just some observations and one good video for you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.