Swapping 2 helix k10’s for 2 JL 10w1v3-4??

Participant count
  • Participant list
What are you trying to accomplish? 
Well I guess more “feeling” the bass than with the helix’s.  I’ve been fighting with them for awhile, and trying to achieve what I want, I was getting “farting” noises out of em.  Told I was probably over driving them....

What do you mean by "the ported box he builds?" Who is "he?"

There is more information about your setup that you need to share. 

Can you post any pictures?
He is James Randy Taylor.....figured you don’t know him so I didn’t figure names were relevant.....he’s a tundra stereo guru down in Georgia.  Here’s a couple of pictures from his website, as the box is currently behind my backseat in my truck.  What other info about my setup do ya need?

EEB233C2-6D34-454B-8CC9-5DC632142A1C.jpeg

358FE1BA-BEAC-41DC-ABF4-C00B53614E20.jpeg

He is James Randy Taylor.....figured you don’t know him so I didn’t figure names were relevant.....he’s a tundra stereo guru down in Georgia.  Here’s a couple of pictures from his website, as the box is currently behind my backseat in my truck.  What other info about my setup do ya need?

View attachment 3771

View attachment 3772
What orientation are the subs and port firing?

Without knowing the specs of the box, I would say that swapping to a different sub isn't going to make much of a difference. You will need to either double the cone area or power or both if you want to feel more bass. 

What orientation are the subs and port firing?

Without knowing the specs of the box, I would say that swapping to a different sub isn't going to make much of a difference. You will need to either double the cone area or power or both if you want to feel more bass. 
The ports fire out the top sides.  Any recommendations for a good power source? I’ve been out of the game for a long.....looong time.  

What is your budget? I have a feeling that the box is one of the limiting factors. Can you post a pic of your exact enclosure?
Pretty small budget really.  I can’t really get a picture of my exact enclosure because I have to remove my back seats completely for it to be visible.  What about the box do you think might be a factor?

Pretty small budget really.  I can’t really get a picture of my exact enclosure because I have to remove my back seats completely for it to be visible.  What about the box do you think might be a factor?
Basically every way you have described it lol. Did you do the install yourself or did a shop or a friend? 

Can you throw out a number for your budget? 

Basically every way you have described it lol. Did you do the install yourself or did a shop or a friend? 

Can you throw out a number for your budget? 
Lol can you elaborate on the box thing?  And I did it myself.....and budget, well, I have a wife that doesn’t get it and a new baby, so low lol.  Just have to be able to justify the purchase and then see if I can scrape $$$together.

Lol can you elaborate on the box thing?  And I did it myself.....and budget, well, I have a wife that doesn’t get it and a new baby, so low lol.  Just have to be able to justify the purchase and then see if I can scrape $$$together.
Well you weren't describing the box too well and multiple ports firing towards the top isn't ideal. Without providing exact specs or a good picture there is a lot of information in the unknown. 

Anyone can make a wedge shaped box. A well designed box that loads properly with good airflow is an entirely different skill. If it sounds like fart noises the way you described earlier then it's probably not the equipment and what you are experiencing is a poorly designed box. Equipment swaps don't fix poorly designed boxes. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.