Before I attempt a system install...

kai_

UK
Hi,

I'm planning on installing a full audio system for the first time ever and I've been reading around a lot and hopefully what I've read and understood from all the manuals is correct. Here is what I have purchased (or plan to purchase):

Alpine 9855 Head unit

Diamond Audio M661 2-way component system

Diamond Audio M361i speakers

DLS A5 Amplifier

Diamond Subwoofer

Knukonceptz 4 awg complete amplifier wiring kit

12 awg speaker wire

Since the amp from what I understand will only power the fronts and the subwoofer, I think that the rears will have to be powered from the head unit directly? In any case, I am not too bothered about the rears as I'll not be sitting there too often! I aim to achieve sound quality rather than knock-your-socks off thumping bass power.

Anyway, I decided to do a quick drawing of how I envisage the install to look like schematically. I apologize for the crappy diagram, but if you can spot any errors/improvements to it, it would be most appreciated. My greatest fear is that I'll end up blowing something up - this stuff isn't cheap!

caraudiowiringeq7.png

Many thanks in advance.

I was just going over the install manuals for the diamond components and had a look again at the crossover wiring and I noticed this:

crossoverszv8.jpg

I presume that this means that it's possible to use the remaining connections for rear speakers that are connected directly to the head unit in my above diagram? If so, my revised install would look like this:

caraudiowiringv2hj1.png

Would there be any implications installing this way? I would prefer to install this way as it would probably save on speaker cable not having to make runs from opposite ends and it seems easier. Would this put any additional straing on the amp or anything else that I should be aware of?

Nice diagram lol. I think if you took your time to draw that, you should be fine with the install. Everything looks good to me. If you wanna install the rear with the extra slot on the xover it should be fine. However I think you'll loose the fade option.

It will probably either a) reduce the power going to the main woofer/tweeter or b) reduce the load the amp sees by half (provided the resistance of rear woofers/component set is matched)

It will probably either a) reduce the power going to the main woofer/tweeter or b) reduce the load the amp sees by half (provided the resistance of rear woofers/component set is matched)
I dont think it changes the resistance to the amp, but it definately does reduce the power going to both the tweeter and the woofer.

I'm sorry to be such a pain, but I've thought of a couple of other things...

1. The Knukonceptz RCA leads feature a built-in remote turn on lead (as it states on their website), is this like stuck to it or something (so you end up with an extra connector on the lead)? It's just that I cannot see it at all from the pictures on the Knukonceptz website pictures. How am I supposed to connect the remote turn on from the head unit to the amplifier using this 'built-in' feature of the cables?

2. If I were to install the system as in the first diagram I posted, I would also have to leave the integrated amplifier in the head unit switched on (I just read that bit in the head unit manual as I was searching for the remote turn on part). It is noted that you can improve the sound quality of the system by switching off the integrated amplifier, however, in this mode the head unit produces no sound... which would leave me with silent rear speakers... So bearing this in mind, which way would be the best way to install the system?

I'm so sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate all the responses so far.

I would try it both ways, but my gut tells me I would prefer to be able to use the fader to adjust front to rear level control as opposed to the second where if the back speakers are too loud or too quiet, you are kind of stuck.

Juan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.