bedliner interfere with bass?

misterio
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
texas
I just built my box and im waiting for my subs to come in and I told a kid at school that i saw i nice box coated with spray on bedliner.

He told me that it interfered with the bass and it wouldn't be as deep as if it was surrounded in speaker box carpet. and personally i don't see how a small thin carpet outside a 3/4" mdf board will make any difference but i don't know

does anybody know if it matters what u cover a box with?

No, sound does not go through the enclosure, that is exactly why a sealed enclosure isn't as loud as ported, half the waves go directly into the box. The covering makes no difference.

so should i port it now that i have a chance before i spray it? i mean this is my first box and i thought sealed would be better because if i ported it i wouldn't know how long the ports should be and how wide they should be

by the way this is a truck box for two kicker cvr dual 4ohm 12" subs, running at 1200 watts 1ohm from an audiobahn amp

give me some opinions please

I put undercoat on one of my boxes a few years ago, Im still getting that stuff on me everytime I mess with anything in the trunk. It looks pretty attractive, but if you do it make sure you get the real deal bedliner and not the stuff from autozone or else it gets everywhere. And no, it does not affect the overall loudness

No, sound does not go through the enclosure, that is exactly why a sealed enclosure isn't as loud as ported, half the waves go directly into the box. The covering makes no difference.
Anyway, Id like to see some facts on which is louder than the other, and how did you come to this conclusion. LOL

Ok ill stay with the sealed box, how about the spray on bedliner from WAl Mart? i think that would do the job you think? and do i just apply it directly without priming, etc?

When I said real deal I meant LineX or rhino liner or something, not rubberized undercoat. Who am I to tell you not to do it, but Im trying to tell you its a nightmare it never dries completely and get EVERYWHERE, i have seriously lost many articles of clothing messing with anything in the trunk

What is the cheapest thing i can use and also the easiest thing because i would carpet it but i don't see how i would make it look good without lines where i put the carpet together

I used duraliner bedlining from autozone and I haven't had any of the problems you guys are talking about. It looks pretty nice, the only problem I had with it was it scratched very easily. Rhinolining however is tough as hell, and if you can afford it go for that. I think you have to go to a Rhinolining dealer to buy it though.

Duraliner works, but Rhinolining is better.

However, normal covering materials (carpet, vinyl, paint) would be easiest.

You can get a cheapo can of rubberized undercoat but it ain't gonna do nothing but make a mess.

If you really really want the textured look of bedliner, definitely invest in some rhinoliner for a well made box that you expect to use for a long time. If you don't care about the textured look or plan on using the box for a while, just carpet it and sell it later on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.