Bazooka or Tangband 6.5 T-line enclosure idea.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lowlacs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok so Ive bought a "new-to-me" truck that happens to be a single cab and Im not to into cuttin a blowthru and cant really afford a topper to do a window blowthru either, so...... Maybe a T-line for a couple 6.5s? Im a fairly competent builder however Ive not tried a t-line. No worries tho if need be I will pay a few bucks for a design. Ive read that this type of box is one of the easiest to design and most efficient but Ive never done anythin like this so I thought Id ask u guys. Here are the details.

First, Ive found a couple bazookas(I know. not the best) on here relatively cheap and the Tangs arent very expensive either. To be honest, I like the cooling features of the tangs better but my bank is slim payin for fuel in a super duty F250,lol. So maybe the bazookas will suffice, this however is not a woofer discussion but ur opinions would be valued on which may perform better.

Second, I will be powering the pair of subs with my Old School Mmats 2050x that does about 400rms. It doesnt seem to like a 2ohm load without a fan but I can build a cooled amp rack, no prob. But with the bazookas bein dual 4 Id guess maybe a lil over 200@ 4ohm. Again please not for discussion as these numbers were directly from Mmats and Ive used this amp for yrs, I can vouch for its proven power and durability.

Third, this will be installed in my 2004 F-250 Super Duty single cab behind the seat, subs firing up and port or, end of the line, out the side.

Ok, So heres goes for the questions. Am I to expect maybe a lil more output than say a single 12 ported if done correctly? How exactly would I design a box with the limited info on the bazookas? And any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here are the sub links if u care to look and lend a helping hand. Thanks for ur time guys.

Bazooka Subwoofers

Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker | 264-919

Tline and/or enclosure gurus, @bbeljefe ; @Buck ;

Ok so maybe Im goin about this the wrong way, Here is a Quote from @Moble Enclosurs ; that I found while reading about T-lines.

"This is very true if you are limited on certain factors, such as space. Do not think that "tline" is above a conventional design, just because it uses different design paths. The design type you use will be based on the vehicle and you, not the other way around. But as far as the response curve flattness is concerned, that is driver specific and some subs may work better in conventional ported designs for that reason...given those mentioned limitations exist again. But generally, due to the way the tline is figured (properly), it can be one of the most powerful design styles available. There are many different types of tlines though, and then it would be figuring which kind of tline will be the best fit, not just a tline in general. The option to control the response with certain physical changes within the design style is the main plus from that of a conventional BR design.

BUT, the main difference is not the phsyics, but the acoustics (and not referring to efficiency, as mentioned, a proper conventional BR can be just as efficient). I am referring to the output type: Compression or intensity. It can get detailed, but he differences can be the defining factor in transient response for musicality over SPL and vice versa. In a tline (of all forms) you tend to have more options to use for designing."

Any thoughts on these woofers in my truck? I could maybe do 4 subs ported too.

I disagree with the statement that a t-line is not above other alignments. They absolutely are and the whole notion that Qms should be above 7 and Qts should be below .4 has not been proven to me. I've only built four ¼ wave lines but all four have impressed the hell out of me and two of those four have had more than one sub in them. All of the subs I've used in them have performed very well and all of them have been loud as hell and clean at the same time.

What was mentioned in the quote you included is true in as much as environment is concerned and it's just as true for one alignment as the next, until you talk about a transmission line. Once you talk about that alignment, you're talking about the best alignment for whatever driver you have. Space doesn't make a t-line sound bad. It might make a t-line impractical.... but not a bad choice. Also, calculating a line is more simple than balancing a checkbook but, it is much more difficult to fit in the space you have to work with so that's why, in my opinion, most builders shy away from them. Because they're not easy.

As for the 6.5s, I just built a line for two AB 6.54s a couple days ago and they're in my son's Accord hybrid, which has an annoying battery bank behind the back seat. I'll get some pics and maybe a video of them tomorrow. They're perfect as bass reinforcement to the factory system and in the mid forties, they shake the rearview mirror on 800 watts. They also play down to the 20s with no problem other than not being loud there. But... played in the shop, they did very well down low on 80 watts.

This one is tuned at 42 Hz and Fs is 51 (published is 48 but these reported 51 on the DATS). I'm gonna build one tuned at 30 and another tuned at Fs just to see how they perform because it's less material to experiment with small subs. :)

But from the experience I have with them, I would say that the TBs will do very good in a line. With an Fs as low as they have, they should be strong down to the 30s.

All I will say is, do not expect the same output from 2 6.5" speakers in a proper enclosure as 1 12" in a proper enclosure. 12 has a good bit more cone area.

[quote name='Chriszle']All I will say is, do not expect the same output from 2 6.5" speakers in a proper enclosure as 1 12" in a proper enclosure. 12 has a good bit more cone area.[/QUOTE]
U sir are correct, I suppose I wasnt quite thinkin right when I made that analogy. Im gonna pull my jack and tool mounts tommorow just to see what kind of space I really have but The back wall has a support that protrudes almost to the seat so I know there will be a height issue forsure. I suppose the usefull space under this sort-of shelf will be the dictating factor on the enclosure and sub size/choice. Thanks for ur reply @bbeljefe ; and I will be lookin foward to seein ur pics and/or vid of the ab 6.5s.

If I where u I would modify the bench seat and take the dented section out and make a center console ported box for 1 12. Oh and what's up lowlacs been a while.
Funny u say that, I just traded some skar 15s from Kyle for a solo x 12 yesterday. I do believe the new plan will be for some bucket seats and a center console enclosure. Im just not sure Id be happy with so little cone area of the 6.5s.

Yep it has been awhile, Ive recently went back to work so I dont have nearly as much free time but if ur ever over this way gimmie a shout mybe we could bounce some ideas around.

I think that solox 12 on one Of the sharks would be pretty ******. Tuned low port facing the rear of the cab sub up.
I sold those amps to help fund my new truck but I still have my ab ph4000 and the solo x is dual 2 so it should be a good match. I also got a lead on group 31 dekas for 100bucks new from the local yocam battery man. I see him just about every mornin and finally asked him today about agms and dekas both in g31 size. 200 for agm and 100 for the dekas brand new, so there will def not be anymore used batteries in my audio builds.

Did u ever get them jbls playin yet?

They are wet cell industrial(big truck/equip) batteries. From my understanding bein a wet cell they must have a vent but Im not sure since I havent bought one yet. Since my aux battery will be outside the cabin Im not so much worried about a "sealed" batt. But, I still gotta find some bucket seats before I can start a build so it may be awhile before I pick one up, Ill let u know when I do tho. I still have Lancasters 4th order u could have for free if ud just come on and get that **** thing outta my shop, Im sure it would be sick in a blazer if it would fit, if not u could always do and install in the hoe u were drivin.lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.