battery terminals to big. Help please

Participant count
  • Participant list

riddla
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
nf
I bought these new and they seem a touch to big to fit tightly on my battery. Is there anything or wayI can do to make them fit without having to buy new ones. I have tightened the bolt up as much as possible but they seem a couple of mm to big

mybootbuild003.jpg

I've seen some terminals (scosche) come with a brass spacer in the past.

Maybe track one down from another terminal? You could probably take a small strip of sheet metal and wrap it around the post then clamp the terminal down. It's a little ghetto but could work in a pinch..

unscrew it and stick a brass washer around the bolt in the middle, what i did and worked fine...
Just to clear this up a bit, This is a positive battery connector and Im using it on the negative terminal on the battery which explains why it is a bit to big, It just wont close enough to clamp tight when bolting it up ?

So would ur idea still work ?

unscrew it and stick a brass washer around the bolt in the middle, what i did and worked fine...
Do not do this.

Go to Home Depot and get a small piece of copper tubing, if you can't find one that matches your terminal post exactly then get the next size up.

Cut the tubing from top to bottom, so that when you tighten it down with the terminal it will overlap itself around the post.

Do not do this.
Go to Home Depot and get a small piece of copper tubing, if you can't find one that matches your terminal post exactly then get the next size up.

Cut the tubing from top to bottom, so that when you tighten it down with the terminal it will overlap itself around the post.
What do you mean by cut the tubing from top to bottom ? are you saying buy a copper tube and put over the post and then put the battey terminal over that. Is this what you mean ?

Yeah that is what I am saying.
If you were to sit the tube on end, standing upright, make a cut from the top to the bottom (longitudinally.)
Cool. I get you now. Will go later and get me some tubing. Thanx

i have something similar to what you have,but my problem was it was a tad too small.i made it work though lol.what the other guy was talking bout was get a piece of copper tubing the size of ur batt terminal,cut the length to fit over ur post,then voila

Do not do this.

Good idear! Why didn't I think of that. Sheet metal, I must be retarded today. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.