Bandpass- What is it? Is it good?

they have HORRIBLE response. all the notes sound the same, it is loud ...but sound like fart. sealed is the best for SQ! ported, IMO, is the best all around. It is much louder than sealed...u lose some sq, but if tuned low...they still sound good. peace

NG

Originally posted by swingking03 I am going to get a new box for my audiobahn 12's. What are the pros and cons of a bandpass box. Is it better than sealed or ported?
If its a prefab bandpass, its worse then either. I haven't heard a custom bandpass that was actually built to the drivers specs, but a sealed or ported box will outperform any prefab bandpass...

Bandpass boxes are sort of like ported boxes....but there are 2 enclosure for the sub, one in the front, and one in the back. The front one acts like a low pass filter, but unfortunately bandpass also results in a limited frequency response. That's the most basic description of one, but it's much more complex if you actually want to build one, such as 4th order, 6th order, etc.. They are only successful when the box is designed specifically for your subs, and it is built pefectly. Any pre-fab bandpass box will sound pretty bad. If you want your subs to be louder, use ported, if you're going for SQ, use sealed.

Originally posted by Gauntlet Bandpass boxes are sort of like ported boxes....but there are 2 enclosure for the sub, one in the front, and one in the back. The front one acts like a low pass filter, but unfortunately bandpass also results in a limited frequency response. That's the most basic description of one, but it's much more complex if you actually want to build one, such as 4th order, 6th order, etc.. They are only successful when the box is designed specifically for your subs, and it is built pefectly. Any pre-fab bandpass box will sound pretty bad. If you want your subs to be louder, use ported, if you're going for SQ, use sealed.
6th order boxes can end up being huge if its designed right for your subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.