Bandpass sq with a couple 10's pushing 1000w@1ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sn4ppy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all..

I have a bit of a dilemma and wondering if anyone cared to lend their experienced car audio opinion.

I got a BMW e39 recently and have been putting a lot of clicks on the odo, and in trying to maximize the experience I want to get a good system put together.

Home audio wise I'm a diy dipole kind of guy, am going to try some of my old full range driver's in the door of my car with a cheap tweeter crossed over high but am stuck on the bass which will need to extend upto 80Hz or so.

I'd also like to dig into the 20's for low rumble and found Dayton's dvc HO's with a nice Fs that is naturally low.

The e39 has a passage to the trunk begging to be used for a bandpass enclosure and I sketched up and calculated an around 80L enclosure that's more like 1:1 than 2:1 that should perform well but sourcing the Dayton dvc 10's isn't easy in Europe and now I'm getting cold feet wondering if there is something much more reasonable to source that will sound better. i.e. Rockford fosgate r2d4's or something.

The question is, for 2 10's in a 4th order bandpass, are the Dayton ho dvc 10's a sane choice or would someone looking for sq over spl (but still expecting chest convulsions) be looking elsewhere with a 1000w 1ohm stable amp on tap.

Last edited:
You certainly have limited options if you're buying in Europe and you are committed to going with bandpass to get the sound up into the cabin through a ski hole or similar.

What is the most volume you can spare in your cargo area for the box? Do you have any space limitations? I really don't know what subs work well bandpass and I definitely don't know what you can and can't get in Europe but perhaps you can get some suggestions if you get a bit more specific with your limitations.

I think you're probably on the right track anyway, but I would suggest to take care to do your own homework on how whatever sub(s) you plan to buy will function well in bandpass alignment. I suspect you have a pretty good idea of what sort of response curve you're after so just make sure whatever you buy can make the response curve you want in a box you can find enough space to build.

Bandpass will perform poorly if you don't take care in selecting a sub that'll play nice with that alignment or if you don't get the box very close to exact dimensions.

I am pretty good with carpentry, specially when I can carpet over some knarly corners.

Part of the reason I have love for the e39 is trunk space. I think it has more than the old gen2 sho had but this 3.0 actually does have turbo not just dual plane intake that salesmen pawn off as such.

And yes ski hole is the plan, I have seen it done in a way that inspired me to incorporate a calculated 4th order bandpass with dual 10's.

I could go after a driver with larger Vas but I don't think larger than 10's would be wise as I don't want to give up the entire sealed coupe trunk.

The amp does 600w into 4ohm, not sure what other limitations are pertinent.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...