bandpass sealed or ported?

jeremythelen
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
idealy for jsut an everyday daily driver what type of box should you go with? i currently have a bandpass and i know those are supposed to be the loudest and mine is pretty loud. im thinking of getting new subs but im just afraid of putting them in a sealed box and haveing it not be as loud as my curretn bandpass or not much louder

Stick with either sealed or ported.

Build your own to spec. It will save you money and you will produce something better than the pre-fab's if you do it right.

- Steve

umm..... technically youll loose from bandpass to sealed 6 DB's but a lot of bandpass box's arnt built perfect so go figure. Sealed is probaly the most daily driver, hits nice and clean for any music, takes up small amount of room etc.

FYI

Sealed - 0 DB increase

Ported vs sealed - 3 DB increase

Bandpass vs ported - 3 DB increase

(someone correct me if im wrong)

Originally posted by jeremythelen so if i took my current 12s in my bandpass and threw them in a sealed box do you think id even notice a difference?
You would notice an increase in sound quality, and a minimal decrease in SPL...the difference in SPL is more noticable to different people.

- Steve

Originally posted by jeremythelen right now i have 2 12" blaupuntks of somekind and was thinkin of maybe 1 or 2 new ed 12as?????????
You would notice an increase in SPL for sure. The SQ would be stellar as well. Either way, sealed or ported, is fine.

- Steve

yeh, it depends on your box, and wattage and all that. I can tell you that the 12 A will literally woop the sh*t out of the blaus any day in SQ and SPL. My educated guess (1 12" A sealed vs 2 12" BLAUs bandpass) is that SPL maybe be in the same range with the blaus maybe having a little more (cone area), but SQ there will be no comparison, the A will take those 2 12"s out! I also think when your going from those 2 subs to the A you might hear no SPL difference because the A will sound SO good its not going to be very noticeable. Thats just what i could think up about what ur doin.... (nothing is for sure there though)

Originally posted by mgaidica yeh, it depends on your box, and wattage and all that. I can tell you that the 12 A will literally woop the sh*t out of the blaus any day in SQ and SPL. My educated guess (1 12" A sealed vs 2 12" BLAUs bandpass) is that SPL maybe be in the same range with the blaus maybe having a little more (cone area), but SQ there will be no comparison, the A will take those 2 12"s out! I also think when your going from those 2 subs to the A you might hear no SPL difference because the A will sound SO good its not going to be very noticeable. Thats just what i could think up about what ur doin.... (nothing is for sure there though)
Nah, you are on the right track for sure;)

Let us know if you need any more help.

- Steve

thanks, and the only other thing i was worried about if i go with the two 12" A's is if 1 jbl 1200.1 would be enough to power them both. cuz idealy if you want the sub to perform at its best you want to give it as much power as it can handle right? and i really dont want to go with any more power than a 1200.1 because i dont want to mess around with alternators or anything really. i know the a's are a new suba nd you probly dont know a whole lot about em yet but do you think 2 of them on 1 1200.1 would be ok? thanks

ide want to say 2 on a 1200.1 wouldnt be pushing them to their full potential, sure you can do it and it will sound good, but they say 900 rms... If you did that you'll have 2x better subs than me and we'll both be powering them by the same thing. For 2 A's ide go with something like a 1600 watt amp, and for 1 A I might go for 1000.1 amp, but thats after getting that approved by lloyd, cause he would know. Remember ive never tried this sub or anything, im just going by the specs....

1 E12A in a sealed box vs. 2 12" blaupunkts in a bandpass

assuming both getting the same power (while the blaus can still handle :p)..i'm leaning more towards the 2 12's. of course i have never heard the A-series before. for just a few bucks more..why not get an E15A and put it in a nice ported box tuned to 25hz?? talk about low-end bass:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.