Audiopipe apsm55100 5 channel

You would have 300w for the sub...
300w would have been plenty for my tastes, at least with an average to high efficiency 12inch subwoofer.

However, the low watt THD (as in say 1/10ths of the max RMS output) does not seem to be very good. I wish the resolution of the posted THD vs watt graphs was more readable. Still, it seems like THD is at 0.1% or higher even at low watt output. I am normally used to seeing low watt THD to be below 0.05%. You can compare to the PPI P900.4 graph for example here (http://www.pasmag.com/images/stories/test_report_graphs/1304/precision_power/image1.jpg). Not that 0.1% THD is supposed to be audible, but this sheds some light on the quality of amplifier's implementation IMHO.

If the OP still wants a recommendation, I'd say look into an Alpine MRX-V60. It will give you similar power, but should be much cleaner overall. The V60 was discontinued recently in favor of V70 (which seems the same thing, maybe with 10% higher output), but a lot of vendors are still offering their old V60 stock for pretty low prices. If you want an amp with >400watt subwoofer channel, maybe consider a PPI P900.5 or SS TN5.950.

ive never understood why so many 5ch amps have such a weak sub ch. if it did 500 @ 2 ohm then there are alot more options.
same here why cant they make a 5 ch with 1000 rms out the sub channel and make it 1ohm stable most 5ch i see are all 2ohm

same here why cant they make a 5 ch with 1000 rms out the sub channel and make it 1ohm stable most 5ch i see are all 2ohm

I think realistically this will not be a budget product. You will need to have a more robust power supply, big heatsink, etc.. My guess is once such product hits the market with >$400 online price, there will not be many buyers. I for one don't like to put so many eggs in one basket.

They do make some 5-ch amps with 1ohm stable sub channel, but not with 1000watt output. MB Quart ONX4.80/500 is one. However, having witnessed my quart ref4.80 run stupid hot, I don't know if I would want a comparable amp share a heatsink with a mono amp running at 1ohm. Another is Polk D5000.5 (this clearly was not designed for high output 1ohm operation as the rating at 1ohm is barely above the 2ohm power rating).

300w would have been plenty for my tastes, at least with an average to high efficiency 12inch subwoofer.
However, the low watt THD (as in say 1/10ths of the max RMS output) does not seem to be very good. I wish the resolution of the posted THD vs watt graphs was more readable. Still, it seems like THD is at 0.1% or higher even at low watt output. I am normally used to seeing low watt THD to be below 0.05%. You can compare to the PPI P900.4 graph for example here (http://www.pasmag.com/images/stories/test_report_graphs/1304/precision_power/image1.jpg). Not that 0.1% THD is supposed to be audible, but this sheds some light on the quality of amplifier's implementation IMHO.

If the OP still wants a recommendation, I'd say look into an Alpine MRX-V60. It will give you similar power, but should be much cleaner overall. The V60 was discontinued recently in favor of V70 (which seems the same thing, maybe with 10% higher output), but a lot of vendors are still offering their old V60 stock for pretty low prices. If you want an amp with >400watt subwoofer channel, maybe consider a PPI P900.5 or SS TN5.950.
I'm not willing to spend that much on an amp. lol.

I think realistically this will not be a budget product. You will need to have a more robust power supply, big heatsink, etc.. My guess is once such product hits the market with >$400 online price, there will not be many buyers. I for one don't like to put so many eggs in one basket.
They do make some 5-ch amps with 1ohm stable sub channel, but not with 1000watt output. MB Quart ONX4.80/500 is one. However, having witnessed my quart ref4.80 run stupid hot, I don't know if I would want a comparable amp share a heatsink with a mono amp running at 1ohm. Another is Polk D5000.5 (this clearly was not designed for high output 1ohm operation as the rating at 1ohm is barely above the 2ohm power rating).
Funny thing I looked at the MB onx4.80/500 as well. Yeah I'm good. I have never had an issue with my audiopipe amps so I may still go with the original amp even if it is less power than rated for. price is too hard to beat.

That pasmag review is disappointing. Their 14v numbers for the sub channel at 2 ohms was just a hair over 300? I am disappoint. Oh well, it is AP

any reviews on the polk d5000.5?

Dunno. Thought about the massive audio nx5? Supposed to do 800w @ 1ohm on the sub channel. Just make sure you mount it somewhere it can stay cool

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Class AB on the 4-channel and class D on the mono

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.