Audiopipe APCL-15001D on SMD Amp Dyno at 0.5 ohms Dynamic RMS

Projection much? ;-)
No, I'm not negative. I'm offering that this is just a test. Yes, there are new people visiting this site. Yes, they don't understand Ohm's Law. Yes, most of the seasoned users here think VA is power and thus, also don't understand Ohm's Law.

Like I said, this is just a test that bass nerds want to see. New users who take this test as an all out, full blown hat tip to Audiopipe aren't interested in knowing what you're trying to tell them and you can argue against the methodology until you're blue in the face and they still won't care.

My argument, which I have expressed already, is that this test is an objective method of testing multiple amplifiers in the same environment. It is not a longevity test. It is not a real world test. So what. It is what it was designed to be and that is... a test of power output. Nothing more and nothing less.
I can assure you it wasn't projection; just a jokingly-intended jab. You understand what this test indicates and so do I, but after having seen what comes out of some of those FB groups, tests like this on YT give me a huge cause for concern. Even assuming the amp had done rated power on the certified test and that guy only saw the burst power and fried their amp, there'd be a frenzy and more of the same "screw AP" talk that's been around since I became a member here. Is it cool to know that it's capable of that much? Definitely. My only suggestion is that the OP makes a playlist of the tests so the YT-browsing crowd doesn't get visions of grandeur from it.

in the end, it doesn't matter whether the amp can do 1300wrms clean or 1500wrms clean because you will not audibly tell the difference.

/thread

Seriously guys? Tony D'Amore was using a $5,000 o'scope in the video I linked above...and the DD-1's are calibrated with an Audio Precision One. Google it if you don't know what those are. Or just keep using your scopes and keep complaining about SMD and his tools which are just branded SMD, but designed and engineered by Tony D'Amore, 10yr lead engineer at Rockford. You simply can't prove the DD-1 is inaccurate using a scope, you are simply proving the reverse...the scope isn't accurate. Which one was TaylorFade using? I bet it wasn't a $5k one like Tony was using in the video w/ the DD-1
Sigh, this isn't going to turn into a SMD vs everybody thread. The test was done, the DD-1 didn't indicate clipping and the scope did. Could it be an isolated incident? Sure. Doesn't change that it did, in fact, happen.

I don't care whether you run D'amore's tools or not (notice I didn't say Meade's), to be perfectly honest. This is a hobby and there are many ways to a similar end goal

I want to actually see the distortion that the DD-1 is saying it's picking up.

I'll say it again, all I see is a dummy light that comes on and says it's picking up distortion.

I want to see actual proof of this said THD

Seriously guys? Tony D'Amore was using a $5,000 o'scope in the video I linked above...and the DD-1's are calibrated with an Audio Precision One. Google it if you don't know what those are. Or just keep using your scopes and keep complaining about SMD and his tools which are just branded SMD, but designed and engineered by Tony D'Amore, 10yr lead engineer at Rockford. You simply can't prove the DD-1 is inaccurate using a scope, you are simply proving the reverse...the scope isn't accurate. Which one was TaylorFade using? I bet it wasn't a $5k one like Tony was using in the video w/ the DD-1
You're funny

Projection much? ;-)
My argument, which I have expressed already, is that this test is an objective method of testing multiple amplifiers in the same environment. It is not a longevity test. It is not a real world test. So what. It is what it was designed to be and that is... a test of power output. Nothing more and nothing less.
Yes! Just a dynamic test of an amplifier, nothing more, nothing less!...sorry if some people watch this and think something different. I didn't do this test to mislead anyone, those who watch the video and READ can understand what the test entails.

It's okay though, they've been watching videos about how to measure power of their amps using clamps and multimeters with speakers for years, so I'm sure they will get incorrect information from sources outside of my videos. As you stated, VA isn't Watts

Lemme chime in on the scope vs. DD-1 thing that I did and mention that the DD-1 I had was faulty due to an extremely common issue they have/had. Except that I'd never heard of it. Nor seen it on the boards. Yet, it was common enough that the guy on the phone knew exactly what it was before I had the problem out of my mouth. Either way... I'd rather see clipping for myself. But that's me and I'm not getting into the DD-1 vs OScope debate.

Also, fwiw... the AD-1 claims to use the same standards that CEA uses. Even though it doesn't list those standards in the manual... CEA states that their certification for "max" or "dynamic" power is 20ms bursts. Twenty f'n milliseconds.

Also let me say to BigDWiz that I appreciate your testing, man. I know what kind of pain in the ass it can be, how long the shit can take and the kind of flack you can catch if people don't like the results, or worse... take them out of context and go ape shit with them.

It's no secret that I don't care for AudioPipe, but I'd be in here discussing this result if it was any amp. But since AP is such a hot button topic, the discussion turns heated and I don't mean to discredit you or your testing. Only the standard by which that particular test operated by.

Thanks for the clarification @TaylorFade. I've seen your big amp tests and thumbs up for what you do. Most people have no idea how much work it takes to do the testing, and you did like 5 or 6 big amps using resistors and clamped. Cool test

I'd like to have an Audio Precision One, but they still go for $5k even on the used market. I got the AD-1 because it would allow me to perform my tests quickly and accurately.

I don't think D'Amore is allowed to post the CEA test methods in the AD-1 manual as CEA charges for these and that would be a problem

Thanks for the clarification @TaylorFade. I've seen your big amp tests and thumbs up for what you do. Most people have no idea how much work it takes to do the testing, and you did like 5 or 6 big amps using resistors and clamped. Cool test
I'd like to have an Audio Precision One, but they still go for $5k even on the used market. I got the AD-1 because it would allow me to perform my tests quickly and accurately.
No doubt. I'd looooove to have the Audio Precision on my test bench, but it's just a labor of love for me and I can't even justify the cost of the AD-1 to myself. Let alone the AP. Geez.

Some people might have lost sight of the fact that you (nor I) do this for a living so $2k for a rig just to test amps and share that info is rather... generous. Lol. There's really no way to "trick" the AD-1 that I know of or can even think of so it's fairly certain that any results you get are legit. But you know as well as I do that half ohm dynamic is really just for funsies. I'm not sure I'd even include it in my results if I had an AD-1, but it's your show and I won't presume to tell you how to do it.

Lowest rated uncertified is probably all I'd do since I usually have to wire to .25 to get close to 1ohm reactive. The lowest reactive load I've ever seen is .6 and that load is BRUTAL. It's a real testament to an amp's durability if the sum'bish will give a .5 certified result though. But at that point, you're primarily testing the protection circuit. Lol.

So, with all that said... keep on doing what you're doing, man. I'm pretty sure I'm sub'd to your channel already, but if not... I'm headed that way.

I can assure you it wasn't projection; just a jokingly-intended jab. You understand what this test indicates and so do I, but after having seen what comes out of some of those FB groups, tests like this on YT give me a huge cause for concern. Even assuming the amp had done rated power on the certified test and that guy only saw the burst power and fried their amp, there'd be a frenzy and more of the same "screw AP" talk that's been around since I became a member here. Is it cool to know that it's capable of that much? Definitely. My only suggestion is that the OP makes a playlist of the tests so the YT-browsing crowd doesn't get visions of grandeur from it.
Exactly what i said on maf.Gonna be some ticked off newbs with smokey amps in the future..lol

Bro, he said he was going to post the rest of the test results in the very first post. And now, here on page seven, you finally divulge that that's all you've been asking for for seven pages?

Come on man. Please don't **** on my head and tell me it's rain. ;-)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bigdwiz

10+ year member
Old School Rulz!
bigdwiz
NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date