Audiopipe APCL-15001D on SMD Amp Dyno at 0.5 ohms Dynamic RMS

Please don't let what I (and some of the other users) are saying discourage you from what you're doing. I think it's a great idea. Just keep in mind lesser experienced people may misunderstand what power ratings they can actually apply in real-world scenarios

Actually, it is RMS power at the 40Hz burst, not MAX (According to Tony and the AD-1 manual). But it is a quick burst, the test is designed to simulate music playback. Real world? Maybe not, but for comparing an amps dynamic headroom, yep...good test. It's fast enough to bypass the amp's protection circuitry, yet still shows how much power the amp can put out dynamically
I guess RMS is 0.707 of the full swine wave. Still a BS rating lol

percussion drums in music is very brief. It's possible to get clean power way over RMS for 10 milliseconds.
Yes I do realize that, I just hate it when people try to prove something in the dynamic power rating. All amplifiers should be rated at continuous RMS or 0.707 of the full swine wave without popping the fuses.

Please don't let what I (and some of the other users) are saying discourage you from what you're doing. I think it's a great idea. Just keep in mind lesser experienced people may misunderstand what power ratings they can actually apply in real-world scenarios
So what does that actually mean?

Of course less experienced people won't understand these results. Nor will they understand the results if the amp was a high end product.

This isn't a longevity test and OP didn't offer it as a recommendation of this product. It's just a test that works the exact same way regardless of who made the amp being tested and, frankly, the only people who care about it are bass nerdz like us.

So what does it matter? I ask at page seven of the endless string of irrelevant Yabuts....

If you actually know how to read a oscilloscope and use the graph on the screen you can calculate the total harmonic distortion.
That's absolutely NOT true...

yeah, I know you guys don't trust the DD-1's even though they are calibrated with a $25k Audio Precision One tester...I'm not debating that anymore.

So what does that actually mean?
Of course less experienced people won't understand these results. Nor will they understand the results if the amp was a high end product.

This isn't a longevity test and OP didn't offer it as a recommendation of this product. It's just a test that works the exact same way regardless of who made the amp being tested and, frankly, the only people who care about it are bass nerdz like us.

So what does it matter? I ask at page seven of the endless string of irrelevant Yabuts....
You're such a negative nancy lately...I know it's hard to believe, but think of how many new users visit this site in a day and how many are going to think that they can tune to "burst power" because a video told them that the amp was capable of it, regardless of the length. Take it for what it is. It's still something that needs to be taken into consideration.

You are familiar with DAF, aren't you?

Yes I do realize that, I just hate it when people try to prove something in the dynamic power rating. All amplifiers should be rated at continuous RMS or 0.707 of the full swine wave without popping the fuses.
I still do not trust the DD-1. I don't see how that thing can pick up distortion if the wave looked perfect on the oscilloscope.

[quote name='Mass Car Audio']I still do not trust the DD-1. I don't see how that thing can pick up distortion if the wave looked perfect on the oscilloscope.[/QUOTE]

Or vice versa. @TaylorFade ; has done an independent test on the DD-1 vs a scope and found the DD-1 to not indicating clipping while the scope's signal was obviously jacked.

[quote name='neo_styles']Or vice versa. @TaylorFade ; has done an independent test on the DD-1 vs a scope and found the DD-1 to not indicating clipping while the scope's signal was obviously jacked.[/QUOTE]

Everyone thinks just because SMD said so it must be 100% right lol

Everyone thinks just because SMD said so it must be 100% right lol
Meade is just a pusher. D'amore has some great ideas and a lot of people have had great success with the DD-1. Just don't ask db-r what his opinion on it is.

I think ill stick to my old oscilloscope. It's been proven for many years.

Why can't the DD-1 actually show the distortion on a screen. All I see is a dummy light

You're such a negative nancy lately...I know it's hard to believe, but think of how many new users visit this site in a day and how many are going to think that they can tune to "burst power" because a video told them that the amp was capable of it, regardless of the length. Take it for what it is. It's still something that needs to be taken into consideration.
You are familiar with DAF, aren't you?
Projection much? ;-)

No, I'm not negative. I'm offering that this is just a test. Yes, there are new people visiting this site. Yes, they don't understand Ohm's Law. Yes, most of the seasoned users here think VA is power and thus, also don't understand Ohm's Law.

Like I said, this is just a test that bass nerds want to see. New users who take this test as an all out, full blown hat tip to Audiopipe aren't interested in knowing what you're trying to tell them and you can argue against the methodology until you're blue in the face and they still won't care.

My argument, which I have expressed already, is that this test is an objective method of testing multiple amplifiers in the same environment. It is not a longevity test. It is not a real world test. So what. It is what it was designed to be and that is... a test of power output. Nothing more and nothing less.

[quote name='neo_styles']Or vice versa. @TaylorFade ; has done an independent test on the DD-1 vs a scope and found the DD-1 to not indicating clipping while the scope's signal was obviously jacked.[/QUOTE]

Seriously guys? Tony D'Amore was using a $5,000 o'scope in the video I linked above...and the DD-1's are calibrated with an Audio Precision One. Google it if you don't know what those are. Or just keep using your scopes and keep complaining about SMD and his tools which are just branded SMD, but designed and engineered by Tony D'Amore, 10yr lead engineer at Rockford. You simply can't prove the DD-1 is inaccurate using a scope, you are simply proving the reverse...the scope isn't accurate. Which one was TaylorFade using? I bet it wasn't a $5k one like Tony was using in the video w/ the DD-1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bigdwiz

10+ year member
Old School Rulz!
bigdwiz
NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date