Audio System Current Draw in a Hybrid???

Nigel79

Hello. I was thinking about putting a JL HD1200 amp and two JL 13TW5v2's in my '17 Accord Hybrid. I was just wondering if anybody knew how that would work hooking that up to the main 12 V battery considering the gas engine doesn't turn on very often city driving so I assume the alternator isn't charging the battery all the time like in a normal car? If it has an alternator? I guess I don't understand how the hybrid system works. Does anybody know and have experience with hybrids and audio systems? I guess that would be pretty sweet if the big hybrid battery maintained the 12 V battery under the hood and they were connected.

I say put one of these $4 voltage meters in your cigarette lighter outlet and monitor it for a couple days when you're driving around. It should be wired to your 12v battery up front, and you'll be able to tell if the battery is maintained off your hybrid's high voltage battery or if the engine cycles on and off to maintain it sufficiently.

Digital LED Auto Car Cigarette Lighter Volt Voltage Gauge Meter Monitor 12V/24V

s-l1600.jpg

Well this thread is soon gonna get derailed soon so...

Who's the chick in your avatar @Nigel79? Juicy backside and a rifle in her hands, :thumbupw:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Slo_Ride']Well this thread is soon gonna get detailed soon so...

Who's the chick in your avatar @Nigel79? Juicy backside and a rifle in her hands, :thumbupw:[/QUOTE]

are you just waiting for kuthe to chime in too? This might have a twist a-la m night shyamalan

[quote name='Nigel79']@adulbrich Good idea on the voltage meter! @youdoofus It is a pic I got somewhere A long time ago. I wish I could say it was my gf but its just a dream lol. I live in Michigan and all women are fat up here.[/QUOTE]

That was SloRide who mentioned the gal in your avatar

Kind of assumed that after I saw the writing in the lower left hand corner of the pic. Can't read it but figured it wasn't a personal pic. She's still hot though. Anyways enough of that, sorry I can't help with your problem.

The Hybrid Car Battery: A Definitive Guide scroll down about half way to see the Honda battery pack...it gives you 144 volts. Good luck hooking directly up to that.

From what I understand about the hybrid, it does not use an alternator to charge the under hood battery. The main battery system charges it through an inverter? Maybe? But it will not have enough amps to run anything bigger than maybe a 500 watt peak amp...maybe? A small amp with now sub...you might get away with that.

Someone I know who is an electronic genius, told me he upgraded his battery to 1300 cca and modified the charging circuit to be able to run an inverter for his toys. He lost some MPG in the process. But he has a microwave in his back seat to heat up those hot pockets.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.