ASAP: Power and Ground Wire are hot to the touch ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ynot
10+ year member

I have a RF Punch 800.2 amp and was wondering if it is normal for both the power and ground wires to get hot ? I went out to the store this morning and noticed a burning plastic smell . I check my stereo stuff and found the amp to be a little hot but not abnormally hot . Then I checked to make sure there was not a wire under that could be melting and happened to touch the power wire and it was to hot to touch and so was the ground . The smell was the insulation melting . Could this have something to do with the wire gauge adapters I used ? Here is the ones I used http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STIS48ADAPT . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif This is the first time I have smelled the melting plastic .

Thanks in advance

I don't think the gauge adapters are the problem. How long is your 4 gauge run ? Is the 600.2 the only amp you are using ?

Here is a simple test for a wire short. All you need is a multimeter and a couple of minutes.

Take your main fuse out at the battery.

Disconnect the amp from ground.

Ground the negative probe of the multimeter.

Set your meter to resistance.

Probe the feed side of the main fuse. The side going to your amp.

You should get a reading near infinity. If the wire is shorted you will get a reading that is little or nothing. Meaning there is no resistance. Which means your wire is shorted.

Try this test and see what you come up with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ramos I did as you said and all is ok . I did however find that both wires were loose at the amp connection . So I tightened them up and that seems to have been the problem just had it all running for about 15-20 min. and both connecters are cool to the touch //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

. Thanks for your help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.