Around $500 front stage

So I came up with an idea for front sound stage, and I would like any input I could get on this. I was looking at the CDT speakers that were recommended, but if I wanted to go active, I could buy two CDT HD-800CF for a total of $276, then for tweeters run something like CDT Es-02 tweeters $190 for the pair (although I should have plenty of options here) then spend $600 on a preprocessor.

I have two major problems here. #1 is I have found conflicting info on if the HD-800CF is dual 8 ohm for a 4 ohm load, or if its a dual 4 ohm for a 2 ohm load. (If its a 2 ohm load it will force me to buy a new amp, which is fine by me, but 2 channel 150 watts at 2 ohms isn't the cheapest amp available.) #2 I'm not sure wither or not the 2" "mid-tweeter" is the way to go, or if what I really want is a 1" tweeter, or if I need both, again greatly adding cost and complexity.

On a side thought, the HD-800CF is essentially just a 8" subwoofer, so I could wire the two of them together in a single channel for a 4 ohm load then bridge channels 3 and 4 on my amp to power them. This also got my brain jogging and thinking, why go into the unknown with the CDT I can get Alpine type r 8" subwoofers with whatever DVCs I want, and wire them how ever I want, and it would be cheaper, a pair of type R's is only $190. I like the idea of running two type R's in my doors, but this then made me realise the frequency range that woofers would be running, and that means I'm putting the rest of the entire musical range on a pair of tweeters (be is 2" or 1") and that just doesn't sound right to me.

Is the HD-800CF a subwoofer? Should I run subwoofers in my doors? Would there be any need for a bigger sub with the CDT HD-800CF? If I ran true 8" subwoofers in the doors what midrange and tweeters would I need? @Jeffdachef

If you read through my last post I went through some of my thought process, but say I tried to save money and didn't go active (which makes sense to me, at least for now, I can always add a processor later). There are two sets I find quite appealing on amazon (I would prefer to buy on amazon because I have a ton of money on there, but I'm not going to risk quality if it means I have to spend money elsewhere). http://amzn.to/2CREFVV and http://amzn.to/2F9F9El

Both sets have the same problem I addressed above, the tweeter is 2" which is quite large for a tweeter, not sure how it would sound?

The three way sets problem is exactly that, I could easily mount a 2" speaker in the upper door, but that is where the 4" speaker should go, so that would be a pain to mount there, but I'd find a way, but that leads to the 2" not sure where to put it, maybe the pilers? Ninja Edit: This pair also calls for 350 watts rms, so again amp upgrade, fine by me, my pdx-f4 is old, I'd gladly replace it, not sure what I would need to pump out 350 watts rms per channel that wasn't at 1% thd, but I'm sure you guys know just the amp.

I’ve had both the hd and MX series. Both are pretty good. But I bumped up to the Es series. Much better
I haven't heard any of them, and I actually haven't heard to many systems at all. How would you compare their speakers to say Alpine type R or Infinity Kappas. I liked both of them but preferred the type Rs, which is why I started looking at the Type X. I would assume that either hd or mx series would be atleast as good but likely better than type X which would be better than type R?

I haven't heard any of them, and I actually haven't heard to many systems at all. How would you compare their speakers to say Alpine type R or Infinity Kappas. I liked both of them but preferred the type Rs, which is why I started looking at the Type X. I would assume that either hd or mx series would be atleast as good but likely better than type X which would be better than type R?
Yes

Looking on CDTs website I don't see any 8" drivers in any series besides the hd series. The biggest the MX series goes up to is 7", and ES series has either 6.5" or 6.7".
Good thing about Cdt is you can mix and match speakers I did a mx3 way system with 6x9 mids 5./5 mids and 1” tweets I liked the hd series much better than the alpines or infinity

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.