Are there any impressive advantages to a DVC 4ohm sub?

better question is. Why would any hardcore basshead want to use a single voice coil sub nowadays.
Ease of wiring

guy I know ordered 4 Tantric MD 15s with single 4ohm coils. Nothing easier than running all the positives together and all the negatives without having to worry about jumpers

When pairing them with a 2nd you're final load is 1ohm. So if you're doing multiple subs, it gives you more options on what load you're amp will see!
I'm gonna have to look into these wiring configurations I didn't see much that intrigued me on Google search.....I know I know.....

All good answers here except for one really good one. Sound quality. Just because an amp can put out loads of power at 1 ohm or lower doesn't mean that should always be the goal. A sub driven at 4 ohms or even 8 ohms with comparable or sometimes way less power will sound better than one driven at 2-1-.5. Distortion ratio's generally increase as the ohms drop.

So if I had an amp that put out the desired rms wattage at 4 ohms and only use one output (as if I didn't hook up one of the terminals) would this still be best for the sub rather than try all the different configurations? Would anything be wasted not using the other voice coil terminal?

So if I had an amp that put out the desired rms wattage at 4 ohms and only use one output (as if I didn't hook up one of the terminals) would this still be best for the sub rather than try all the different configurations? Would anything be wasted not using the other voice coil terminal?
You have to use both voice coils on the sub. Search series speaker wiring and parallel speaker wiring. Theres a bunch of diagrams to show you rather than try to explain it all here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.