are p3 15s junk ? Or is it the box ? Noob here

Participant count
  • Participant list

SCHMITTY

CarAudio.com Newbie
So Short story long - I acquired a xplod 1000 watt 2 channel amp and xplod 12 in a sealed box from a vehicle that was getting scrapped. 2 months ago I bought a clean 89 caprice which was already wired for a system and had a deck. After having the Sony stuff for awhile I wanted harder hitting bass/ complete car vibration. My coworker had a p3 15 4 ohm dvc sub in a sealed box he built- carpenter by trade. He said he screwed up his math and didn’t account for the 3/4” thickness of the Mdf.

Anyhow I installed a skar 1200.1 amp and wired the sub to 2 ohms/800 rms. The sub is 600/1200 peak

It hits a little harder than the Sony stuff but I’m not impressed. 11 years ago I had 2 L7 10s in separate kicker ported boxes running off a 1200 watt rf 2 channel amp and a 2 farad cap, in a single cab truck.

I’m looking for that sound again.

Would a properly sized porter box help me get the lower/ mid bass and shake the car more ? Or a different kind of sub ?

An 89 Caprice has a much different listening environment than the single cab truck you had in the past. You will need more power and cone area to get the output you want because there is a lot more airspace to pressurize.

I see. Well I’m going to build a vented box at 32z and I may open up a spot in the rear of the interior of the car between the 6x9s in flat area below the rear window. It’s moving a bunch anyways . I can’t spend any more money for awhile on amps/subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.