are mid ranges important for full range speaker?

Participant count
  • Participant list

crzybob77
10+ year member

A lot of full range speakers have mid range, but a lot of them don't. I was wondering how important they are. I always thought that it would be a good thing to have one. But, a lot of the top of the line speakers from brands like infinity just have woofers and tweeters. So, it makes me wonder if midranges are important if good name brands have their best speaker with only woofers and tweets. And, a lot of nice systems have component system, which is just a woofer and tweet, no mid range. Anyways, do any of you all know? How much do they help and why do some of the most expensive speakers not have them?

i think the defferance ur referring to is (1)coaxils (2) components. (1) coaxils are speakers with the tweet and possibly mid suspended infront of the cone. these offer good sound in a compact package. the problem is the speakers mounted in front of the larger cone obstructs the path of the sound from the woofer cone.usally coaxils only need the tweet in the mid. to tighten up the sound. the rest of the freq. can produced from the woofer cone. the way i like to think of it is the more i have infront of the woofer cone the less i hear. for most people only useing factory locations inst a big deal, but if u r looking for superior sound and imaging theses are prob. not the speakers for you.

(2) components are 2-3 speakers seperate from each other. this allows for a great range of placement possibilties. also included with this set up usally is a cross over. which lets u further tune the speakers to meet a broder range clearer. if u r concerned with the best sound quality and imaging and volume then components are the way to go.

hope this helps

Yeah, what Savage said //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The "woofer" in 2-way speakers (even comps) is also the midrange. That's where the majority of music is, so yes it's very important.

what i mean is how much does the seperate midranges that some coaxal speakers have help. You know, like 3 way speakers that have the woofer and then a midrange and tweeter on top. I am asking how much those separate midranges help, or is the woofer usually enough to handle the midrange?

Coaxials are usually small anyway (compared to subs) and by their nature handle midrange well. Personally I haven't heard triaxials (3 way) that impress me a lot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.