Are high end head units necessary?

SQ is relative.

IMO - if you can place in the lanes at IASCA, MECA, and USACi, you can claim SQ.

If not, you can just say you're SQ goal-oriented. Just because you think it "sounds good" doesn't mean a SQ judge think the same thing.

But it's your system and your investment. do whatever makes YOU happy and don't worry what anyone else says. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

that said, high end head units are necessary if you desire a competition level system. the head unit is the source that controls the nervous system. there is a audible difference between every head unit. pick one that you like the sound of, features of, looks of, etc., and build from there.

that said, high end head units are necessary if you desire a competition level system. the head unit is the source that controls the nervous system. there is a audible difference between every head unit. pick one that you like the sound of, features of, looks of, etc., and build from there.
Well said.

SQ is relative.
IMO - if you can place in the lanes at IASCA, MECA, and USACi, you can claim SQ.

If not, you can just say you're SQ goal-oriented. Just because you think it "sounds good" doesn't mean a SQ judge think the same thing.

But it's your system and your investment. do whatever makes YOU happy and don't worry what anyone else says. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Here in germany I had a guest starting in the AYA last year....

AYA means "Are you authentic"

The problem is : every car sounds only as good as it´s HU, if the whole car is high end and HU is crap, the car will sound like crap, regardless if the system costs 1000 Dollar or 10000...

Another problem is that most recordings sound like S***t, try to get some recordings from a label named "Stockfisch" and then try a cheap HU and then a High End HU, you WILL hear it, I swear you...

I don't know many people that still use CDs for daily driving. Most use Ipods or USB devices. Many people use CDs for comp, but you aren't driving in a comp.
I still use CD's since I cannot stand I-Pods.

I understand the whole EQ stuff. But honestly, unless you are running hardcore SQ you prolly won't need the tuning ability that expensive decks have. I use the Kenwood 693 and I would consider my setup SQL.
If you're wanting to run active, then you need the high end HU, unless you're using an external crossover...which will probably end up costing more money in the long run and not sound as clean as a nice HU. I don't think there's anything too "hardcore SQ" about the numerous people out there and on these sites(including myself) who run an active setup with their HU's. Lots of people do it because they enjoy the ability to customize their front stage to their liking.

the pre outs arnt that much of the matter...its the tuning ability of the hu itself. That alpine probably comes no where close to the eclipse in means of tuning
This, tuning capabilities are very important.

I don't know many people that still use CDs for daily driving. Most use Ipods or USB devices. Many people use CDs for comp, but you aren't driving in a comp.
All I use is CD's, mainly because my 8053 doesn't have a usb drive or an ipod hookup.

Honestly, to me, if im putting all this money into my sub and front stages, why not have the most important thing in the system be highend as well. Hell Jacob from sundown uses a cheap Sony Xplod in his testing jeep that constantly puts up 150s+ with various woofers so it really doesnt matter too much. Obviously with more money come more features but to me i want the center of the operation to be just as high end as the rest of the system.Thats why i stick with Alpine.
This

This statement hits the nail on the head.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.