Apparently a twist on Bluetooth HU pairing

Participant count
  • Participant list

City Rat

Hi all,

First post newbie here with a question. I recently bought a used 2002 Mercedes CLK 55 convertible. It came with a decent Bose 8 speaker setup OEM, an unnoticeable OEM sub, and a completely outdated HU. I swapped out the OEM HU for an Alpine 138BT single DIN which fit the space and had the features that U wanted in terms of front access for USB and Aux jack in, the PAC adapter to bring online the Bose speakers and added a Sound Ordnance Powered sub box temporarily until the summer when I can spend a day tearing into the trunk and measuring the space that I have to put in a flat piston sub and an amp replacing the OEM Bose sub entirely. (No garage)

The Alpine HU pairs seamlessly with my Blackberry 9800 Torch allowing me to use all the hands free calling options and controls while streaming Pandora or stuff off of my playlists. What I'd like to do is to add, at the same time as my Torch is paired to the HU, my Garmin Nuvi 765T nav unit which has BT. I have tested and the Nuvi pairs easily with the HU allowing me to actually hear the directions through the sound system rather than the tiny nav unit speaker. However, it appears that the HU will only pair with one unit or the other but not both at the same time. In researching the BT protocols it seems that the design of BT is able to accomodate 1 master and up to 8 slave units in a given "piconet". This is why you can have both a BT mouse and a BT keyboard paired at the same time to the same netbook or tablet. I think that the key may lie in processing power in the HU and that is what the guy at Alpine Tech support said, after my helping him to get that conclusion. That said, it is not as though the Nuvi would actually be "taxing" the master HU's resources through occassional requests to use the sound system to announce directions, at least not like streaming audio would.

I have searched the forums here and on a couple of different sites, a couple of different ways and nothing so I thought that I'd post. A couple of questions:

1) Is there a HU that allows pairing of two devices at exactly the same time? I saw one thread on here from a couple of months back but it only had one response so thought it might be worth asking again just in case some didn't see it.

2) If not, is there an adapter or an adjustment to the HU, that will allow me to add the Nuvi to my system via BT?

3) If not, is there a work around that anyone can think of that would help solve the problem?

I can add several phones to my pioneer but I don't think the HU can access any 2 at one time. Looks like you want all the features of a NAV BT HU, should have got a flip up screen HU. The processor may be too simple/limited to do 3 processes simultaneously.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.