Apillar pods

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bass so loud it HZ

CarAudio.com Regular
I tried to fiberglass some pods to my apillars yesterday . Ive never messed with fiberglass and i believe i got the mixture wrong at first. It was some what hard and seemed dry but still had some flex to it. I put another layer of properly mixed resin on it and it seems to be drying but still not rock hard. The resin thay ran down the pilar is hard tho. Ive tried putting some heat to it and adding some hardener to the outside and it still not where i think it should be. Its the bondo brand and should set in 2 hrs. Anyone have any experience doing fiberglass? Should i just give it more time ?

What fiberglass resin are you using? Are you adding mat or fiberglass chop at all?
Its bondo brand.. i have the pods wrapped with some stretchy spandex material. I lined the inside with some chop mat in the areas i could reach, those spots seem to be much harder. I do not have chop matt on the outside, i was told i didnt have to use it over the whole thing but thought maybe i needed to. Will the fabric harden without chop matt ?

If it’s bending, that is normal as it needs to be reinforced with cloth or chop
Mat. If it’s goey like it isn’t drying you gotta start over. Best cloth material to use is fleece, and chop mat after a couple coats on the fleece should be done to give it strength.

The fiberglass is what gives you strength, the resin just holds the fiberglass mat together. If the resin isn't curing properly that could be due to temperature.

Some resins are sticky in order to make the chop or mat stay better. Then you use a finish type resin that dries without being tacky as the last coat. Nothing to worry about here. Build up till it’s solid and you’re golden. The fun part will start after which is the sanding and body filler 🤣

Some resins are sticky in order to make the chop or mat stay better. Then you use a finish type resin that dries without being tacky as the last coat. Nothing to worry about here. Build up till it’s solid and you’re golden. The fun part will start after which is the sanding and body filler 🤣
Yeah after doing research and from my own experience ill never use bondo again lol.. ive put multiple layers of chop mat and resin on there now and it is solid as a rock.. am i good to start on body filler once its good and hard ? I got some herculiner to put on it so it hides the imperfections

Yeah after doing research and from my own experience ill never use bondo again lol.. ive put multiple layers of chop mat and resin on there now and it is solid as a rock.. am i good to start on body filler once its good and hard ? I got some herculiner to put on it so it hides the imperfections

Give it 24 hours dry time. If it’s a little tacky don’t worry, sand it then fill it and sand it again till you get the desired results. I never used that brand thank god lol. Always used some type of boat resin

Give it 24 hours dry time. If it’s a little tacky don’t worry, sand it then fill it and sand it again till you get the desired results. I never used that brand thank god lol. Always used some type of boat resin
Well i sandes it and added th bondo to it last night. I talked to some guys that said if i sealed it if any was still qet it would hep dry it . Not sure how true that is but to late now. Applying the bondo was a PITA i sanded it down pretty good but there was some imperfetions so i went to go add more bondo squeezed out to much hardener and it was hard betime i applied it lol. I said f it and sprayed it with the herculiner. I figured it would cover the pinholes but its not doing the best job. Hopefully after multiple layers it will hide them if not im gonna have to resort to something else

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...