Anyone running JVC KD-S100 with kick pods?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ZPilot
10+ year member

I just ordered the JVC KD-S100 from Crutchfield and was reading a bunch of press releases and reviews. Supposedly the disc that comes with the HU will load up data for your specific car model and optimize the sound based on the OEM components and speaker locations. I'm running a couple of old Clarion 6.5 coax speakers in fiberglass kick pods, and no rear stage or sub. It's a budget setup for a beater car, hence no components or amps.

So I'm wondering how the soundstage/imaging will be affected since the OEM speaker locations aren't being used. Anybody in a remotely similar situation with this HU? What's up with the disk? Do you pick your car from a list, or does the program have some kind of spectrum analyser or something?

I have the same HU. The disk that comes with it just tunes it to a very general specification of most vehicles. Since crutchfield can't have a disk for every make car, they just send out 1 standard disk. You can get on bongiovi site and download different disks for different setups, like aftermarket speakers, subs, and so on. But none for vehicle specific speaker locations. The HU looks awesome though. And I think it sounds great. I heard alot of comments about it sounding bad with aftermarket speakers. But it sounds great.

the disc isn't that smart, you'll be okay. its doesn't even use a mic so I can't be too exact. but it works great and sounds great. granted, I don't use the HU's amp, but off the rcas everything is gravy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.