Anybody dealt with an install in a Cobalt?

Justinw303
10+ year member

[Space for Rent]
I'm seriously debating on whether or not to install my old system (Two 8" RE RE's, PG Xenon 400 watt amp) in my new car, a 2005 Cobalt.

I'm just worried about rattle. Last vehicle was a 1990 standard cab F-150, not too much rattle.

Now I'm concerned about trunk rattle, but more importantly, rear deck rattle. At certain frequencies I can hear my 6 x 9's rattle it, and I'm concerned it will rattle loudly with a pair of 8's.

So has anyone here heard a system installed in a cobalt before, or maybe own one? How did it sound?

Nobody? Well here's a question that should be easier:

The battery for this car is located in the trunk. Would that pose any kind of problem? I see the major benefit of using less cable, and not having to feed a power wire through the fire wall and run it to the back of the car, but are there any drawbacks?

Nobody? Well here's a question that should be easier:
The battery for this car is located in the trunk. Would that pose any kind of problem? I see the major benefit of using less cable, and not having to feed a power wire through the fire wall and run it to the back of the car, but are there any drawbacks?
Doing the big 3 would **** as you would still have to run wire to the battery in the rear.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I'm seriously debating on whether or not to install my old system (Two 8" RE RE's, PG Xenon 400 watt amp) in my new car, a 2005 Cobalt.
I'm just worried about rattle. Last vehicle was a 1990 standard cab F-150, not too much rattle.

Now I'm concerned about trunk rattle, but more importantly, rear deck rattle. At certain frequencies I can hear my 6 x 9's rattle it, and I'm concerned it will rattle loudly with a pair of 8's.

So has anyone here heard a system installed in a cobalt before, or maybe own one? How did it sound?
installed quite a few system's in those cobalt's.

got one monday i gotta do.

the first time i did, ur topic was my main concern. but it sounded good, had some trunk rattle but nothing really big.

but im willing to bet after a few month's to a year there will be more rattles..

Big 3 is hell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif so are any trunk mount battery cars.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Big 3 is hell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif so are any trunk mount battery cars.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Well I'd be running a 400 watt system so no Big 3 for me...

But what else about trunk-mounted-battery cars?

but im willing to bet after a few month's to a year there will be more rattles..
Would it be something that sound deadener wouldn't be able to fix/help?

a lot easier on Sub setup...you can tap in a remote off the rear fuse box....and a LOC off the rear speaker wires...so you don't have to run any cables at all to the front...with 400 watts 8ga cable is plenty big enough......

a lot easier on Sub setup...you can tap in a remote off the rear fuse box....and a LOC off the rear speaker wires...so you don't have to run any cables at all to the front...with 400 watts 8ga cable is plenty big enough......
Yeah in my first setup I used 4 gauge, but since the length of wire is so short I figured 8 guage would do the trick.

But what is an LOC?

GF has a 2005 Cobalt with a 15" Q and Boston Pro's. Nice budget set up that sounds good and gets loud. Easy car to work on but the F'ing plastic panels ****. Very hard/brittle and rattle like a mofo. Dash is HUGE and rattles like crazy, same with the glove box, door panels, pretty much everything.

It would take a TON of time/deadener/weatherstripping to make that car quiet, but she doesn't seem to car, so I've only dealt with some of the major rattles.

I run a 1k PG amp for the sub with no BIG3 and only get dimming at full tilt. She doesn't play it that loud, so I've never bothered doing it.

Yeah in my first setup I used 4 gauge, but since the length of wire is so short I figured 8 guage would do the trick.
But what is an LOC?
Low Output Converter...It allows you to use the rear speaker wires as RCA's...usually a little box with RCA female plugs all you need is a short RCA from it to the amp...great for factory decks...pretty much only route to go...sometimes you don't need the converter because amp has Low Converter built in....

What is so hard about following the factory batt wire with another run of wire? Factory is 4g, so if you only plan to run 400watts then you won't need to upgrade.

GF has a 2005 Cobalt with a 15" Q and Boston Pro's. Nice budget set up that sounds good and gets loud. Easy car to work on but the F'ing plastic panels ****. Very hard/brittle and rattle like a mofo. Dash is HUGE and rattles like crazy, same with the glove box, door panels, pretty much everything.
It would take a TON of time/deadener/weatherstripping to make that car quiet, but she doesn't seem to car, so I've only dealt with some of the major rattles.

I run a 1k PG amp for the sub with no BIG3 and only get dimming at full tilt. She doesn't play it that loud, so I've never bothered doing it.
****, that may have killed my will to install...

What you planning on installing? If it's not that much subwise, then you might be fine. Her 15" Q hits pretty **** low/hard, but a lesser sub wouldn't be so bad. I ran 2 8" Assassins in there and it wasn't nearly as bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.