Any Re-Coning tips? & another wiring question?

If you use the dremel just go over it with the 60 grit.
What type of glues are you using?

Lots of guys will use different stuff for different parts.

Epoxy for spiders, amazing goop for surround, CA glue for dustcap.

I've used just about all of it.

Amazing goop has some really good give/take so it work well with surrounds. Almost acts like a really dense rubber.

For all my recones now I just do CA glue for everything.

My spiders get double. I do a pretty good size bead on the spider landing, let that sit, spray, harden. Then ill do a bit on top and I'll seal in the sides as well.

Oh with CA glue and activator, the activator will hang around for a bit. So when you put down glue, it might start to activate right away because of the activator in the air.

So once you do your first spray, you kinda have to work a little faster.
I was going to try and use CA glue if I could get it before I get the other cone, is there a specific brand or place you buy or is it ok to order CA off of eBay? I am figuring 8oz should be more than enough for both subs. And I seen how they put it on top of the spider n make it even with the lip like you were saying you do. I was gonna do that too... It's all about prep and then little details like that that can make it better than factory no? Thanks for the explanation I super appreciate it!

For plastic I'd use epoxy. Had good luck with that for my HDC3.

I used just the loctite blend you can get at lowes/homedepot.

Only thing is that I would give a full 48 hours before any power goes to that sub.

Especially with the colder weather, want to give it plenty of time to set and harden.
no he said his kit didn't come with spacers for the coil he's talking about using paper..

Yea, Frank said they didn't have any shims for the kits, cuz when they got there order they were the wrong size...I was thinking of getting that clear plastic sheets for putting school papers in. Or just plain sheet paper, or getting some of those silicone cutting board sheets and using a few of those... Those are just things that popped into my head, but I know some of y'all probably have some better ways of shimming the coil.

I was going to try and use CA glue if I could get it before I get the other cone, is there a specific brand or place you buy or is it ok to order CA off of eBay? I am figuring 8oz should be more than enough for both subs. And I seen how they put it on top of the spider n make it even with the lip like you were saying you do. I was gonna do that too... It's all about prep and then little details like that that can make it better than factory no? Thanks for the explanation I super appreciate it!
All my CA glue is bought from this guy: RabidModels | eBay Stores

Bought from him a bunch of times.

I get 4000cps strength.

If it list options for thickness, you want thick. Not thin.

I can do two 12s with a 2oz bottle of CA glue.

But this kinda depends on how complete the recone kit is.

Some kits just send parts and you have to put it together so you'd need more glue for that.

If its a complete drop in, a 2oz should be good enough for an 18. Just have to glue the surround, spiders, and dust cap. Maybe just to be safe 3oz but I haven't reconed an 18 in a while.

Yea, Frank said they didn't have any shims for the kits, cuz when they got there order they were the wrong size...I was thinking of getting that clear plastic sheets for putting school papers in. Or just plain sheet paper, or getting some of those silicone cutting board sheets and using a few of those... Those are just things that popped into my head, but I know some of y'all probably have some better ways of shimming the coil.
SoundQubed gives super thin plexi shims.

I use those if I can find enough of them but I've done recones will just printer paper as shims.

Works just as well imo.

SoundQubed gives super thin plexi shims. I use those if I can find enough of them but I've done recones will just printer paper as shims.

Works just as well imo.
Cool, thanks... I'll check out those plexi shims... If I can find em how many you think I'll need? Also here at Walmart I was looking at poster board (heavy duty paper), and construction paper. But I think if I was gonna use paper I ought to just use the plain copy paper I have already instead of complicating it with papers I'll need to cut...

Thanks a bunch brother, I'll order from that eBay store you said, it's better to order from places I know of others ordering from honestly...

Cool, thanks... I'll check out those plexi shims... If I can find em how many you think I'll need? Also here at Walmart I was looking at poster board (heavy duty paper), and construction paper. But I think if I was gonna use paper I ought to just use the plain copy paper I have already instead of complicating it with papers I'll need to cut...Thanks a bunch brother, I'll order from that eBay store you said, it's better to order from places I know of others ordering from honestly...
That ebay dude is also a car audio guy. Nice fella he is.

You can use that epoxy and e6000 if you already have it. It'll work just fine, probably wont look as good just because that stuff kinda gets everywhere and drips but it'll work.

Use printer paper. Construction paper is too thick.

It'll work the same and it's long, which is good.

I'm trying to think of anything else but I think thats it.

If you need any help mid-way through the recone just let us know. We'll get it right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.