Intermittent sound from speakers - unknown cause - can this be a bad head unit? HELP

Participant count
  • Participant list

mayhem17

va
Hello,

I purchased a Tacoma a year ago and the previous owner did some work to the sound system.

The truck has (what I believe) a toyota manufactured double din radio which has the toyota logo upon start up.

What I know equipment wise is:

sub - sound ordinance b-8p / b-8ptd

amp - kenwood KAC 8406 800W 4/3/2 channel power amplifier

speakers are coax kickers

Symptoms:

This system shows what I can only see as a completely random pattern of working or not working.

For instance yesterday, I get in and start the truck i hear a pop which it has done since I purchased it, the radio boots up, speakers and sub work fine. I drive 30 minutes, rough road in spots, no problem what so ever. I get off work, I hear the pop, radio boots up, no sound from speakers and light sounding thumps from sub. I try turning off/on radio and nothing. This morning the same thing. This afternoon it works for about 30 seconds sitting still and the sound cuts out. When this happens, the radio is still on and the screen in functioning properly. What could this be? I really dont think its in the wiring because of how completely random this is and when it cuts off. I can be sitting still and it will cut off.

Honestly this is really starting to **** me off and these symptoms started out somewhat infrequently, now I am lucky if the speakers work at all once a week. I have heard of it being possible that the radio over heated or something?

In need of some help here and appreciate it. THX

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.