Any one knowledgable about cut throughs please post

Participant count
  • Participant list

Puff the dragon
10+ year member

ohio
I have a 99' Dodge Dokota R/T regular cab with 6 MTX 8000 series 12's and 3 8100D 1500w amps in the bed. I have a 8" x 40" cut through in the cab but since they are 12" subs, they are pounding on the sheet metal of the cab and about half the sound is getting through to the dash. I can't really cut any higher because of wire harnesses from the factory. Help me out if you got any ideas, I am only hitting 148! With 6 12's it should be a bit higher.

Thanks

Ok first things first. How are the subs set up in the bed of the truck? This could be a big factor in your problem. Also- is the enclosure sealed off from the rest of the truck bed? How about the enclosure size. Also, how are the subs wired?

Just a little more info needed here.

Take it easy,

-zane

My subs are in a V wedge style box, facing each other for the most part, also aiming towards the cab with about 1.5 cubic feet of air space per sub. The box is pretty big, it takes up all but 2 feet of my bed, the amp rack takes up the rest. The box is closed off from the rest of the bed, but you can see the front of the subs if you stick your head behind the seats and look through the cut through. Is this making sence......I hope so.

ISub............SubI..............................I...Sub......Sub...I..............................I......Sub..Sub....I..............................It Should look something like this from a top view. The "I" will represent the sides of the box. The subs wiring shouldn't matter. But they are in series right now. 3 and 3 untill I get another amp. Then they will be 2, 2, and 2. Ok there ya go. Please help.

OK NEVER MIND THE LITTLE DRAWING I SPENT 10 MINUTES TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE. IT DIDN'T TURN OUT ANYWAY, ALTHOUGH IT LOOKED FINE HERE! **** IT TO HELL!

Ok, sounds like where we need to focus is the wiring, and possibly the crossover points.

Your explanation made complete sense, less one part--you said the subs are wired in series 3 -3.

what exactly do you mean like this?

3 subs to a series, or wired at 3 ohms mono, etc?

According to the info that I have The Thunder 8000 subs are 4 ohms each. This would mean that with an 81000D amp on each set(2) subs with series wiring, there would be a final impedence of 8ohms for each set(2) subs. If they were wired in paralel, the final impedence would be 2 ohms per set(2) of subs.

The 81000D has optimal output at 2 ohms.

Right from the MTX site--->

Specifications

Power 12.5 VDC Input

2 Ohm Load 1000 w x 1 Low Level

4 Ohm Load 500 w x 1

Crossover(s)

Power 14.4 VDC Low Pass 40Hz-200Hz -

2 Ohm Load 1500 w x 1 Variable

4 Ohm Load 850 w x1 RCA Output

Low Pass Only

Dimensions

(with ISO Feet) Other Features

Compression Circuitry

17.8" x 9.75" x 2.1" Thunder EQ

45.2cm x 24.8cm x 5.3cm EBC2 Port

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder81000d.cfm

I would suggest re working the wiring so that each set(2) of subs is at 2 ohms. This should fully utilize the complete potential of the amp.

Take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.