Any help with custom tweeter installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dillon Hinners

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado with a pair of 6 ohm silk dome tweeters installed currently and a pair of jbl 12” sub woofer and 4 sets of 3way component speakers but Bose stock head unit. 

I recently purchased a pair of air motion transformer Dayton audio 4 ohm tweeters and I would love to install them permanently with addition to the peerles that I have. 

I have tried temporarily tried wiring The pair of tweeters in parallel with alligator clips, meaning one air motion to one peerless in the front left a pillar and the other pair on the right side and it sounded great but, it think it sounds too good to be true I feel like I need a crossover or something extra so I don’t damage these speakers. 

If any information please help

yes, you need crossovers on those tweeters.  Parts Express sells crossovers for this purpose (as inline crossovers) and they can recommend a 6dB/oct or 12db/oct version and crossover point.

if you wired them in parallel with the existing tweeters, you are using that crossover (presumably) but the impedance change affects the crossover point. 

safest bet is to buy the necessary crossovers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.