Any body not use subs and still get great sound?

For reference, this is the amp and speakers I am getting installed in 2 weeks for free, with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head unit I had installed last week;

JBL - GX Series 6.5" Component Speaker System with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) - Black
Model:GX608C

JBL - GX Series 6" x 9" 3-Way Car Loudspeakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) - Orange/Black
Model:GX9638

KICKER - CX 360W Class AB Bridgeable Multichannel Amplifier with Variable Crossovers - Black
Model:46CXA3604

You can make it sound good...just keep in mind you'll be lacking the lower frequencies...

Without treating your doors 100-125hz is about as low as you can expect your 6.5" to play cleanly (may be a higher though) and the 6x9 aren't likely to play below 70hz cleanly...

If you're not looking for some lower end punch (not boom) than you'd be fine...

Anybody do no subs?
Millions of people. Whether or not you'll be happy with this who knows? "Great sound" is at the end of the day subjective. Report back if you're not happy once this is all installed. Even a very modest performing and priced subwoofer will be rather a dramatic difference in the end result though.

I absolutely love the sound in my car!!! I have a phenomenally great SQ head unit, an Eclipse CD8454. My front stage are Morel Tempo Ultra 602 two-way speakers and my rear deck is Focal Performance 690AC 6x9 coaxials. This is an active setup with the DSP being a JL Audio TWK-88. No sub.

All powered by a US Acoustics Lanna 6- channels amplifier.

I think the sound is phenomenal (my opinion). But, a big reason is because the doors are properly deadened. This is huge!!! If you don’t do a proper job of deadening, you won’t that real good, punchy mid-bass.

Last edited:
Audio systems without a sub sound like they're missing something if you've heard the same song played with a sub. Give it a shot: listen to a song with a sub, then listen to the same song a week or even a month later with the sub turned off. You could even go the extreme route and listen to a song on garbage speakers with a sub, then listen to it a week later on amazing speakers without a sub. You will notice the missing frequencies, and it will bug you.

Anybody do no subs? For example; Just some 6.5 component speakers up front and 6x9's in the rear with a modest power amp?
Bass heads need not reply.
If you like the sound. No need for a sub. I have subs, but my 6 x8 - 3 way door speakers puts out some impressive bass, in my opinion. Remember that you built the system for you!!!!

You can make it sound good...just keep in mind you'll be lacking the lower frequencies...

Without treating your doors 100-125hz is about as low as you can expect your 6.5" to play cleanly (may be a higher though) and the 6x9 aren't likely to play below 70hz cleanly...

If you're not looking for some lower end punch (not boom) than you'd be fine...
Literally dozens of different brands offering speakers with frequency response down to 50hz. At the same time, both DS18 and Pioneer have "subwoofers" that either reach 1000hz or god forbid 4700hz.

tldr Pioneer freq specs implicitly make the claim of the most amazing bang for your buck deal midwoofers ever made.

Pioneer TS-D10D2​

• power handling: 500 watts RMS (250 watts per coil)
  • 1500 watts peak power handling
  • frequency response: 20-6600 Hz
  • sensitivity: 74 dB
  • mounting depth: 5-1/2"
159.99 each

Pioneer TS-D12D2​

• power handling: 600 watts RMS (300 watts per coil)
  • 2000 watts peak power handling
  • frequency response: 20-4700 Hz
  • sensitivity: 74 dB
  • mounting depth: 6-1/4"

Big if true. Has anyone tested these big ol dookie claims?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...