Any 6.5'' co-ax sound good from headunit power?

dewbie
10+ year member

I have 6.5 infinity kappa co-ax's in my front doors running off my head unit power and obviously they sound terrible and distort terribly at any decently high volume ( even when bass is set to ZERO on the deck )

Are there any 6.5 co-ax's that would sound decent from a head unit? ( Alpine 9852, 16W RMS )

Was thinking bout alpine type s, or downgrading to infinity reference, and i figure they would sound better than the kappa's run from my head unit cause their power handling is quite a bit less...

Suggestions would be great, these kappas sound terrible

PS*** my deck only has 1 preout, so amping the kappas is out of the question, cant afford it at the moment anyhow

*** obviously not looking for big bass or anything, lol, have the sub in the trunk for that, just want good highs and decent mids *********

thanks

problem with that is i'm sure even with the bass at 0 when your crank that knob your signal is starting to distort. what you'd want to look for here is a very effiecent speaker. somethign that doesn't require alot of power for it to get loud.

What exactly defines an "efficient" speaker?

I'm looking at the MB Quart FKA 116's right now, they seem like they might do better than the kappa's from headunit power... their rating is only 40RMS and they seem to have good reviews... hm

If your running deck power and want to upgrade crappy factory speakers ...your better off with a cheap ass pair of Pioneers or Sony Explodes from Wal-Mart...because they can't take any more than deck power
more than willing to steep this low if they'd sound better than any nice speakers running off of 16 rms

get some boston acoustics...s-series. they're like 30 or 35 rms so theyll be just fine off of the head unit powa!
They work great off of HU power. I'm using them right now off of 22RMS (claimed) HU power and they don't distort at my listening volumes (18-22 out of 32 on my deck) so if you don't listen to your music too loud they're a good choice. I listen within reason and just below the point of my ears ringing if that's any reference.

kappa's sound great if you get an amp. with amps prices going down you can get one ata great price nd never worry about the dist. issues. when you add a 4 channel it raises the bar for sound levels. it cleans the signal and allows for finner adjustments. i sell 4 ch amps for under $200 new in box. subs make car audio fun....but a 4 ch will make it great! anything the will do over 60w rms will do you fine for the kappas. ifyou have 6.5" speakers all around you can even do a 2 ch and 2ohms at about 100w per ch and you will sound great. i know this sounds cheep but the Rockford Fosgate 150.2 prime amp will do it for ya and i sell it for $110.00

check it out if you like.

Catalog

get some boston acoustics...s-series. they're like 30 or 35 rms so theyll be just fine off of the head unit powa!
yeah these look decent, pretty cheap too, i might give'em a try, anyone heard the MB Quart FKA 116's run from a HU??

MB Quarts are 40 rms

Unfortunately, the titanium dome tweeter on those MB Quart speakers will be nearly as bad as the Infinity MMDs that I hate so much. Off of HU power, you may be OK. If you plan to amplify them, you may be looking for a different set of coaxials or components down the road.

instead of another pair of cheap speakers...why not find a good amp to power them around 30x2 or so rms...that should really clean up your sound....maybe a good buy on an old school amp would be nice especially something made by ZED, PPI, RF,Orion ect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.