Another Xmax Question...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Daniel
10+ year member

Caraudio.com
SFLA
alright, the higher the Xmax the harder it hits right? Im not sure so correct me if im wrong. But when i was looking at some subs, i found one with a larger Xmax than the RE XXX, and those are supose to be the loudest or close. The blueprint 1203 subs have an Xmax of 51.1 and the RE XXX have a xmax of 39, so how is it that they are louder, or do you also have to look at wattage because the RE XXX has 1600W RMS and the 1203 have 1000W RMS,, please help.

51.1 MM ?

WHAT?

on this site it says they have an xmax of 25.9 MM !!

is 51.1 real? that's huge !! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif :eek:

The "p-p" means "peak to peak". Xmax is commonly noted in one way distance (should be near half of "p-p") which is why that 51 seems so insane.

Xmax does not directly relate to loudness either. The Surface area of the cone plays a big factor as well. Xmax plays a more direct roll in the "bottoming out" of the driver. The farther the speaker can move, the more air it can move before reaching its limits. Louder? Not neccesarily. Just able to move farther (which has differing effects from speaker to speaker and cannot be the only factor compared).

Hope this helps.

lol, just as i was posting what "p-p" means, 'registered' answered it..

hehe. ya, so when i said 25.9 MM, i was correct.. that's how much it would excurd..

that's quite a bit too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif :eek: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Originally posted by Daniel alright, the higher the Xmax the harder it hits right? Im not sure so correct me if im wrong. But when i was looking at some subs, i found one with a larger Xmax than the RE XXX, and those are supose to be the loudest or close. The blueprint 1203 subs have an Xmax of 51.1 and the RE XXX have a xmax of 39, so how is it that they are louder, or do you also have to look at wattage because the RE XXX has 1600W RMS and the 1203 have 1000W RMS,, please help.

Xmax is simply a physical measurement of how far the cone moves inside linear travel. It will not help you determine if it hits hard, sounds good, or produces good SPL numbers. I find it to be actually one of the least useful figures in speaker determinations, unless you are solely looking for sheer air movement/spl.

I've demo'd a 1503, and it was quite a driver, we had a problem with the spider ripping on it during testing, but when it was functional, it went pretty darn low and with some authority...

All of this was done in house, so I can imagine it will tear your head off in car....

well, which mesurements can you look at on the t/s parameters that will tell you about SQ, and which ones help determine the SPL? they have a lot of figures but i have no clue what any of them mean, on Xmax as of now.

sorry, double post //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif on more_spl

there's lots on subs that can determine how much SPL they can produce.

every thing adds up, even though it may not be SUPER important

-xmax, wattage, cone size, magnet, materials, everything will add up....

well, material can play a role in SQ.. im not sure which materials are best, but i hear people say paper has a more natural sound.. there's nothing really much to tell you how SQ will be, gotta hear it, but if it has a stable linear motion and good inside parts, it would be a sub to hear. . just gotta hear the subs, cant rely on specs to determine EVERYTHING for ya.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.