Another Super Capacitor thread

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
My current setup is a 160 amp alternator (big as I can get, stock alt was 75 amps), Agm battery under the hood, and a XS power d3100 in the rear. I am running a Taramps smart 3 and a Taramps 800.2. While driving the voltage will drop to about 13.0v when the bass first hits. On long bass notes the voltage will rise back up to about 13.5-13.6v before the bass note ends. So I am going to add a super cap bank. My question is this. I figure that they will end up floating at the same voltage as the batteries do, so 12.7v or so. When I start my car in the morning are the caps going to max out my alternator trying to recharge themselves? Or am I overthinking things?

metalheadjoe

Unapologetic prick
10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
Capacitors are fast-charge/low-capacity by nature. They might cause a surge from your alternator, but they charge so fast that they won't hurt your alternator. Electricity generally balances itself.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. That is what I was thinking would happen, but I wanted a little conformation before I installed it.

akheathen

trianoacitol contraceptiv
Premium Member
10+ year member
Jan 9, 2011
you're overthinking things.... sounds like your voltage regulator is slow reacting. normal caps usually need a very high, like 16-20farad to make up for this, but supercaps just work diffently, and they should fill-in that surge. they arent going to charge up like you think. they are going to stay at battery voltage, then a slight bump in power to reach alternator volatage, but not like a huge short circuit type of event. the second battery is going to tax the alternator far more than the caps will.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I received my wire and connectors today and installed the cap bank today after work. The bass notes that used to drop from 14.2v to 13.0v and struggle back to 13.5v now drop to 13.8v and hold steady. Then return quickly to 14.2v and is ready for the next bass hit. Most definitely a big improvement. I am sure that if I started playing a test tone I would run out of cap power after a few seconds and the voltage would sag a little lower.

This is the performance that old school 1 farad capacitors were advertised to have, but never did.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

KicktheSDbasshead

2 builds 2 feet
Jan 20, 2022
I received my wire and connectors today and installed the cap bank today after work. The bass notes that used to drop from 14.2v to 13.0v and struggle back to 13.5v now drop to 13.8v and hold steady. Then return quickly to 14.2v and is ready for the next bass hit. Most definitely a big improvement. I am sure that if I started playing a test tone I would run out of cap power after a few seconds and the voltage would sag a little lower.

This is the performance that old school 1 farad capacitors were advertised to have, but never did.
I know a guy who ran 14 banks of this maxwell no batteries at all he said he never dropped voltage but if the headlights were on for more than 15 minutes the car was dead and he had a big boy build those things go

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post a message

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.