ANOTHER 12-INCH SUB SELECTION POST

Participant count
  • Participant list

Macksamillion

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a stock 2014 Honda Accord Sedan. I plan on building an audio system around my Pioneer AVIC 8200 GPS unit. I don't have any other equipment yet. I am still in the planning stages. However, after much reading many articles and watching many videos, I have made my amplifier selection. I will be going with the Taramps Smart 3. As far as electrical, I plan on doing 0 gauge wiring uprgrades, with an extra battery and capacitor in the trunk. I do not see myself replacing the stock alternator. I don't even know if there are Honda options for that?

For bass I want to go with a pair of 12's in a custom enclosure I will likely build myself. I want to be a combination of low and loud. I have no interest in competing. I'm not worried about burping the loudest test tone. I want my car to sound musical. I listen to a lot of reggae. I figure that the two 12's would share about 5 cubic feet in a ported box. The only problem is choosing which ones to go with.

The Smart 3 amp will do rated power (3000 watts) at 2-ohm or 1-ohm mono. I want to run it at a 1-ohm load. That means I need two 4-ohm DVC woofers. From all of my research, I am giving serious consideration to the following:

American Bass Elite (if I could find them)
American Bass XFL
Skar DDX
Power Acoustik BAMF
Massive Audio GTX series
NVX 1000w RMS (I don't know the model)

All of these fall under my (somewhat fluid) price cap of about $180 per driver. I also considered the Sundowns and Skar EVL but they are above what I want to spend. I would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion on these models I am considering, OR has a suggestion for something I may not have considered.

They're all good woofers. It just depends what you want to do.
I went with the sundowns because I wanted to pump super low. And sundown take alot of abuse. But as long as you design the box right. Most people won't reply because you didn't really get into much detail on the type of sound you want.

Anything below 33 hz won't be too musical. Especially in a 5ft box. It'll be peaky towards low end and will be hard to crossover. For rebass sure but radio mix ragae? Depends what you mean by lows. I consider lows mainly below 30hz

Ditch the cap. Make sure you go OFC 0 gauge wire. Do the big 3 under the hood. I think your car has a 130 amp alternator. With the big 3 & a spare battery in the trunk, 1500-2000 @ 1 ohm is quite the pull, but might be fine.

Could take a gamble on the sundown yard sale

Though if I was in your shoes I would probably just buy the Skar's

For the vehicle electrical red and the amp I like the elites. Entry level 3” coil but smaller magnet than xfl so you get em moving a little easier than the xfl’s. Elites look out of stock everywhere though so I wouldn’t be afraid to pull the trigger on two xfl’s. Two xfl 1044’s would absolutely bang on that smart three and you could build your ported enclosure a bit bigger for high output without consuming a whole bunch of trunk (closer to three cubes than 5 for the 12’s. Plus $150 per sub is nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.