LOL I hate to ask

Malazan

Apr 17, 2012
Colorado
I know you guys get tired of this question, but I just can’t seem to narrow down a subwoofer choice

Number of subs preferred: 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12

Budget: Whatever but within reason

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Sundown SAZ3000d [email protected]
Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 1 cubic foot per sub

Goals: nice SQ and bass impact

Listening habits:100% Heavy Metal, Classic Rock

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Not picky, just no garbage brands

The 2 12’s are going in a sealed enclosure in a 4dr Wrangler

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Wire to 1 ohm and get two Icons.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2020
United States
I know you guys get tired of this question, but I just can’t seem to narrow down a subwoofer choice

Number of subs preferred: 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12

Budget: Whatever but within reason

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Sundown SAZ3000d [email protected]
Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 1 cubic foot per sub

Goals: nice SQ and bass impact

Listening habits:100% Heavy Metal, Classic Rock

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Not picky, just no garbage brands

The 2 12’s are going in a sealed enclosure in a 4dr Wrangler
Your listening habbits are pretty convenient for the space you have, since sealed sound great on bass guitars and kick drums. So you're looking for 2 subs that can be in a 2 ohm configuration close to 800w rms each and do well in a sealed enclosure.

Just a quick crutchfield result. Curious why you're choosing 2 ohms on that amp, isn't it 1 ohm stable @ 3000W?

Malazan

Apr 17, 2012
Colorado
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure my electrical will get me to 3000 watts. I have definitely been toying with the idea of 1 ohm. Does it affect SQ?

I have done the big 3, but I only have a 160 amp alternator right now

I was thinking 2 IA LI’s or FI Xv3’s if I went 1 ohm

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2020
United States
Not sure my electrical will get me to 3000 watts. I have definitely been toying with the idea of 1 ohm. Does it affect SQ?

I have done the big 3, but I only have a 160 amp alternator right now

I was thinking 2 IA LI’s or FI Xv3’s if I went 1 ohm
Ah, well 3000 is a bit much for a stock system. If you're not looking to change anything else with the car then 2 ohms is reasonable.

Skar SVR-12s for the price range would be okay, not great. Alpines I linked earlier for the middle price range. https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-subwoofers-spl_show-300d/ for upper price range. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion above that range, I don't do competition level sound but I have a hertz SX 380D that I'm very happy with the SQ in a sealed enclosure, especially for the type of music you're talking about.

Edit: Ditched the T5 low end for Skar low end.

Last edited:

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
Keep your gains conservative and get d4 subs for a 1 ohm final load and just keep your gains conservative. Upgrade Alt the output doesn’t meet your tastes.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
Apr 27, 2020
United States
I’m not against going to a more powerful alternator and upgrading battery
In that case I suggest you either take slo_ride's advice with the subs or wait for more feedback. I'm not super familiar with the upper power range subwoofers, but I see a lot of folks mentioning brands I've never heard of particularly at high wattage.

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
just asking why 12's? wouldn't a pair of tens be better for rock and metal? I've found the sound of 2 10's to almost always feel a little tighter and cleaner than 12's assuming both setups were in correct boxes for that goal

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
Jun 28, 2011
USA
These can be ran sealed in that space for 12s

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
Jun 28, 2011
USA

Crsracing

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 26, 2020
Clackamas OR
I've been doing alot of research on subs that can get loud while still sounding good in a small enclosure recently. at the top of my list is the ssa gcon / icon and the stereo integrity sql-12, although I have only been able to find some pre production reviews on it si seems to be well liked.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
I personally would rather do 1 sub ported vs 2 sealed. The Korean sundown amps are powerhouses for sure do you already own that amp or is that what you plan on getting?

Malazan

Apr 17, 2012
Colorado
I already have amp wired up, everything is ready to go , just need some subs. Already have enclosure also

The subs I’ve looked at are

IA Flatlyne
IA LI
DC Level 2
SA SD-3
Alpine type R
FI Xv3
PSI 1

wew lad

wew lad inc
5,000+ posts
Mar 22, 2015
VA
They're all great options. It's literally a matter of picking one at this point and putting more time into a good enclosure

Malazan

Apr 17, 2012
Colorado
I've been doing alot of research on subs that can get loud while still sounding good in a small enclosure recently. at the top of my list is the ssa gcon / icon and the stereo integrity sql-12, although I have only been able to find some pre production reviews on it si seems to be well liked.
You might be onto something here, I just checked that sub out and it models pretty well in a sealed 1.0 enclosure

Would you suggest a 1 or 2 ohm wiring configuration?

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
You might be onto something here, I just checked that sub out and it models pretty well in a sealed 1.0 enclosure

Would you suggest a 1 or 2 ohm wiring configuration?
You pick sub impedance to enable amp efficiency. Wire to one ohm and set your gains conservatively and adjust till there’s not significant voltage drop.

Crsracing

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 26, 2020
Clackamas OR
Exactly wire for most efficiency you can always turn it down. And I'm honestly torn between the sql and gcon. Gcon models better under a cube but sql would have more output being a 12 where as I would get the gcon in a 10. Although for you it would be sql or icon.

Malazan

Apr 17, 2012
Colorado
Something that has been bugging me is if I wire for 2 ohms for 800 each, the subs I have been looking at are 1000 RMS subs, does it matter that they are only going to get 800 each?

At 1 ohm I’m 1500 each but don’t think my electrical will get me there

Not sure if I’m over thinking this LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds