Android Auto on Kenwood - Anyone Using?

Participant count
  • Participant list

carlupq

I have a Kenwood DDX9903S and I'm unable to get Android Auto to work.

I keep getting the message "Unsupported Device".

I verified the head unit has the most recent firmware.

I also have the newest Android OS version on the Google Pixel, with the Android Auto app installed and running (auto launch enabled too) so it seems like this should work.

I did the obligatory internet searches - only finding recommendations to try different cables, which seems unnecessary as I'm using Google's own highly rated cable.

I'll try another cable, but I'm not hopeful.

Any other advice?

Your insight and assistance is most appreciated.

Android Auto is the only feature that made me decide to try this head unit.

I have a Kenwood DDX9903S and I'm unable to get Android Auto to work.I keep getting the message "Unsupported Device".

I verified the head unit has the most recent firmware.

I also have the newest Android OS version on the Google Pixel, with the Android Auto app installed and running (auto launch enabled too) so it seems like this should work.

I did the obligatory internet searches - only finding recommendations to try different cables, which seems unnecessary as I'm using Google's own highly rated cable.

I'll try another cable, but I'm not hopeful.

Any other advice?

Your insight and assistance is most appreciated.

Android Auto is the only feature that made me decide to try this head unit.
Its very unlikely that your cable is the issue as long as you can connect it to a computer and transfer files. Ill look into the issue and see what i can find

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

heres what i found

What’s the issue?

We've found connectivity issues between newer phones using USB-C (e.g. Google’s Pixel phones) and certain car models with aftermarket headunits (e.g. Pioneer 4X00NEX, 7X00NEX, 8X00NEX) installed. The connectivity issue may arise when the head unit is installed with a USB extension cable connecting to the pre-wired USB ports separate from the head unit (e.g. in an arm rest). This USB extension configuration can cause signal integrity issues in the USB connection, which may cause compatibility issues with newer USB Type-C devices, such as the Pixel. There were discussions related to this issue on this community as well.

Recommendation

If you are using Android Auto with similar environment described above and are experiencing connectivity issues, we recommend you to use the USB port at the back of the headunit. Using the actual USB extension cable supplied with the headunit and running it into the cabin for the phone to plug in will further help the issue. Also please make sure to use a high quality USB cable to connect your phone. (Some tips and user recommendations can be found here.) Please note that shorter cables generally perform better.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/az_IM9QyzI4

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.