Amps and flying

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
So I'm flying back to WA state for a visit on 2 weeks and found out my buddy has a pair of 2 channel Fosgates from my old delta. I gotta bench test test them, but he's giving them to me since he'll never use them. They're the really old school ones that look like a black heatsink with no badges (they're on the end caps). I ain't trying to ship them and definitely not gonna put them in my checked luggage. So I plan on putting them in my carry-on...anyone know if they'll get through tsa without being field stripped in a bomb hunt? 😂

I mean it shouldn't be a problem it is just like any other electronic device I would imagine. Maybe call the airline and see if they have anything to say on it. Probably a first for them though being asked about car amplifiers and carry on luggage,lol.

I bought a few amps from Stephen Mantz when I visited SoCal many years back and put them in my checked bag without issue, but I did get the original boxes which were nicely packed with the original foam.

Airlines are pretty rough about up-charging for luggage unless you're on a higher tier status with them so you may find FedEx ground to ship them home to yourself may even be competitive to what an airline will charge you per pound.

The big reason for not checking them is I've had my luggage absolutely trashed by airlines...now anything of value and breakable don't get get checked 😂

And shipping is out, about 1 out of 10 packages don't get delivered properly. Either at some random house or in the middle of the yard (or some similarly weather exposed location) instead of on my covered porch...filing complaints with usps, ups, and FedEx haven't done anything to correct that audits rain season here

They'll be fine. TSA should screen them like they'd screen a laptop. To save everyone the hassle, I would pull them out of the baggage and run them through the xray on their own. Otherwise the amps block the xray and then they have run you bag twice.

The big reason for not checking them is I've had my luggage absolutely trashed by airlines...now anything of value and breakable don't get get checked 😂

And shipping is out, about 1 out of 10 packages don't get delivered properly. Either at some random house or in the middle of the yard (or some similarly weather exposed location) instead of on my covered porch...filing complaints with usps, ups, and FedEx haven't done anything to correct that audits rain season here
I fly all the time for work and they just don't care. ..And there is a lot of theft. I'm getting to the point where I should just buy a large pelican case. Anything electronic or valuable goes with me in my back pack.

If you carry the amps on the plane. Just take them out and set them separate from anything else. You can put them in the plastic trays separately.
I’d suggest not making comments about bombs when putting them through security. They look down on that sort of thing. Maybe enough to have you miss the flight.

If you carry the amps on the plane. Just take them out and set them separate from anything else. You can put them in the plastic trays separately.
I’d suggest not making comments about bombs when putting them through security. They look down on that sort of thing. Maybe enough to have you miss the flight.
I wasn't planning saying nothing like that. Just asking. I mean the first time I fly with my daughter (at 4 mo old) they place her bottle in a a scanner checking for residue from an explosive material...so that's why I made that comment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...