Amplifier turns on, weak output!

Participant count
  • Participant list

mr_naler

My friend bought an MTX TD500.1D, which he used for about 3 weeks before connecting the power wire to the speaker terminals. The fuses did not blow, but rather when we hooked it back up it turned on and even transmitted a signal to his woofers. The issue is that the signal is significantly weaker, and when I say significantly weaker it seems as if it isn't actually amplifying the signal at all. The subwoofers produce sound, but it is at a level so small that in the front seat you can't tell they are on.

Now if this was the only symptom I would blame it on the connection of the power wire to the speaker terminals. However, the head unit is now sending a decreased signal to the door speakers. Also, he has trouble starting the engine when an amplifier is hooked up in his car. I have never experienced anything like this before, so anyone with any information that could be useful, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Cody

that is bad all around. the output board is likely shot. forcing power into the speaker hookups on an amp is bad news. the fact that you actually had some form of sound is kinda amazing, most because it did not smoke, fry, blow. take that amp to a repair shop and see how bad it is. The deck preouts might be shot. take a test tone, 60hz and a dmm (digital multimeter) and test the acvolt out on the preouts on the deck. If it is rated 2v, then it should read close to 2v and max volume. Maybe find someone with a oscope and check for noise and clipping points too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.