Amplifier going into protection when grounded?!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rufnek405

CarAudio.com Newbie
New 1st time member so this isn't done correctly I apologize...

I'm stumped
I recently put a system into my 2018 compass sport. It worked great for about 2 weeks. I wired the entire harness myself that hasn't had a single issue but 2 weeks ago when I went to leave work I had no power no anything to my amplifier. I went home and tore all the wiring out rewired everything (even more carefully) And it came back on and worked for about 2 days.
Then driving on the highway the Bass stopped and my amp went into protection.

Since then I have rewired everything from bumper to bumper we can't find a single problem. The amp stays in protection AS LONG AS ITS GROUNDED. If I take the ground off the amp comes out of protection the still doesn't produce any sound.
It's a cheap dual amp into a cheap Kenwood 12. Dual's website says if the red light comes on it's A) bad ground B) wires touching or c) impedance issue. None of which it seems to be I have checked and checked and checked again. I have a new amp on order but now it's fact a matter what the hell is going on?!?! Bad ground terminals?
Any help is appreciated

If your amp is showing a "protect" light with +12, REM, and ground hooked up it is broken. You absolutely should NOT be attempting to power up and amp without ground connected; many cheap amps will try to "find" ground through the RCAs which can damage your head unit.

If your amp is showing a "protect" light with +12, REM, and ground hooked up it is broken. You absolutely should NOT be attempting to power up and amp without ground connected; many cheap amps will try to "find" ground through the RCAs which can damage your head unit.
It's not hooked up . The whole unit is unhooked. It's just was just an observation. Good to know it's shot. Appreciate it.

I would take it out and bench test it with a 12v power supply, if it fails in the bench, then chances are, there is a defect in the amplifier. If its under warranty, take it back, if its old, then time to get a new one. I think one of the mosfets have blown and thus, causing it to go into protection. Not sure if you want to get it fixed though unless it something that you really want to hang on to.

I would take it out and bench test it with a 12v power supply, if it fails in the bench, then chances are, there is a defect in the amplifier. If its under warranty, take it back, if its old, then time to get a new one. I think one of the mosfets have blown and thus, causing it to go into protection. Not sure if you want to get it fixed though unless it something that you really want to hang on to.
I trashed it. It was the amp. Thank you

I was going to ask what the final Ohm load was at the sub? If not wired correctly at a stable ohm load for that amplifier.. it will go into protect the majority of the time on a well made amplifier . Just make sure you wire you sub correctly to the amplifiers stable ohm loads.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...