Amplifier flashes protect when the bass hits and shuts off ! Please Help !

I have a single 12" Adire audio Brahama DVC running at 2 ohms (4 ohms per coil) that is being powered by a Kicker ZX 500.1, tied to a Boss 20 Farad Cap, 4 gauge wires all around (not sure). "I can provide some pictures if needed"

Unfortunately, my amp shuts off when I play my music a little bit loud or when it plays a song that is too bass heavy. At the moment I have my gains dialed in a notch up from zero, on all levels, because its the only way I am able to listen to music with out my amp shutting off. I noticed that when I would have the volume set to a certain level (Lightly Loud) the protect light would lightly flash and not shut off, but when I increased the volume it would flash solid red and go into protect mode when the bass hit.

Before the ZX 500.1, I was running a Crossfire BMF 600D which was pounding my subs, flexing my windows a bit, and would hardly ever shut off. It would only shut off when I would be playing my music loud for a Looong time. I wanted to upgrade to a mono amp because of the better performance of bass reproduction.

I have never encountered this problem before with any other amp running this same wire setup. Does anybody have an idea of what can be causing this amp to shut off ? I am begging Ya'll for some help. This wasn't happening before with a different amp ! I am a bass head/freak that needs loud music at all times.

According to the manual, sounds like a low voltage issue. Can you get a DMM and measure the voltage at the amp power terminals when it goes into protect?

Also, try removing the Boss capacitor completely. It isn't helping and may actually be causing your problem if it is failing.

---

Protection LED flashing with loud music?

The red LED indicates low battery voltage. Check all the connections in your vehicle’s charging system. It may be necessary to replace or charge your vehicle’s battery or replace your vehicle’s alternator.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a single 12" Adire audio Brahama DVC running at 2 ohms (4 ohms per coil) that is being powered by a Kicker ZX 500.1, tied to a Boss 20 Farad Cap, 4 gauge wires all around (not sure). "I can provide some pictures if needed"
Unfortunately, my amp shuts off when I play my music a little bit loud or when it plays a song that is too bass heavy. At the moment I have my gains dialed in a notch up from zero, on all levels, because its the only way I am able to listen to music with out my amp shutting off. I noticed that when I would have the volume set to a certain level (Lightly Loud) the protect light would lightly flash and not shut off, but when I increased the volume it would flash solid red and go into protect mode when the bass hit.

Before the ZX 500.1, I was running a Crossfire BMF 600D which was pounding my subs, flexing my windows a bit, and would hardly ever shut off. It would only shut off when I would be playing my music loud for a Looong time. I wanted to upgrade to a mono amp because of the better performance of bass reproduction.

I have never encountered this problem before with any other amp running this same wire setup. Does anybody have an idea of what can be causing this amp to shut off ? I am begging Ya'll for some help. This wasn't happening before with a different amp ! I am a bass head/freak that needs loud music at all times.
sounds to me like it is the capacitor, you shouldn't need one if you are only pushing 500 RMS, I would just remove it all together.

sounds to me like it is the capacitor, you shouldn't need one if you are only pushing 500 RMS, I would just remove it all together.

Sounds to me like it is the capacitor, you DON'T need one EVER, I would just remove it all together.

Fixed

Could also be battery or alt fading.

Removing the cap would be step one though.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for helping out with this. I am going to remove my capacitor as soon as I get a break in the weather. I am in New England right and its really cold with tons of snow:rage:(tired of this winter S!@#).

BTW - I changed my alternator about a month ago and I provided a AGM 1000 amp battery to go with it. Also, I have a spare battery that I bought for a project and never used, its just laying around somewhere. Should I incorporate that battery into my sound system? Do you know how to? I greatly appreciate any positive advice that anybody may have.

-Braxxton_401-

since you got a new battery check your power wire is tight for your amp. i recently had a problem we had alot of rain but im sure snow could cause this problem to i got rain water in my fuse holder and corrosion caused a similar problem i was down to 8 volts on one of my 0/1 lines that's what i get for driving on flooded roads

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, this problem is still going on with my system. I have done minor tweaks to the system to see if it alleviates the problem, but no luck !

Update - I removed my capacitor as it was suggested by N2Audio, added a spare battery from Auto Zone 800 CCA, with four gauge cables all around. I also rechecked my wiring to ensure that my hi/low converter, amp, terminal/connections were wired correctly, and not loose. Still, my Amp manages to shut off when I play it loud.

My system consist of the following - 01 BMW 530i Factory radio/amp -> Pyle Hi/low -> Scoche 1000 watt amp wiring kit 4 gauge -> 1000 CCA AGM Battery -> Standard 800 CCA battery -> Kicker ZX 500.1 -> 12" Adire Audio Brahama Subwoofer -> 2.5 Cubic Foot ported enclosure tuned @ 32HZ.

I don't know what to do next guys ! Any suggestions ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif

I was going to buy a new amp, but I am having trouble finding an amplifier that is 1500 to 1000 watts in power @ 2 ohms Stable. I was also going to upgrade my wiring to a 2 gauge cabling with hopes of resolving this issue. My only concern with this is that my amp only fits 4 gauge, I hope that there is a gauge reducer I can by. Please help/advise ! I am not giving up on this and I refuse to take it to a car audio pro, i'd rather donate and learn on my own ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I wpuld suggest going with 1/0 guage wire since your upgrading now and the bug has bit you you'll probably be upgrading again and yes they have reducers but for a true 1k or 1.5k rms amp it should be 1/0 inputs anyways. Also are all the batts in your car the same type ie: are they all dry cell?

Lower gain on your loc and raise gain on your amp. I've seen loc's cause all sorts of problems. I would look into getting a quality loc. Second, run your phone directly to your amp with 3.5 to rca adapter and see if it still protects

On such low power, this sounds like a poor grounding issue. Be sure your ground is proper coming off the amp.

Sanded paint to bare metal, bolted (not self tapping screws) to typically the thickest metal you can find (chassis) near the amp.

Where is the amp currently grounded?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.